saw a 61 Ford F100 with a 429 and a C6, just a leaky tranny seal, for cheap!! Hmmm...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: saw a 61 Ford F100 with a 429 and a C6, just a leaky tranny seal, for cheap!! Hmm

Better scratch that itch before it's(the itch, or the truck) gone!

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: saw a 61 Ford F100 with a 429 and a C6, just a leaky tranny seal, for cheap!! Hmm

....I know the feelin' Heinz. :D If it's a good deal, it can a be a lot of fun and pretty useful.
The good news is if it is a good deal, it won't suffer the guaranteed depreciation of a new vehicle.
Good time to pick up deals right now, particularly before Christmas. If you decide you don't like it, clean it up a little bit by bit, drive it and then park it at a show 'n shine next summer and sell it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Good Luck
BP:):cool:

That engine and tranny would be good to use making a thunderbolt clone.

Attachments

• engine redo 090.jpg
    engine redo 090.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0

RGrew176

Commander

The C6 was one of Fords best trannys ever. I had a 67 Merc Comet Caliente with a C6 and all I can say is it performed well.

ezbtr

Commander

....I know the feelin' Heinz. :D If it's a good deal, it can a be a lot of fun and pretty useful.
The good news is if it is a good deal, it won't suffer the guaranteed depreciation of a new vehicle.
Good time to pick up deals right now, particularly before Christmas. If you decide you don't like it, clean it up a little bit by bit, drive it and then park it at a show 'n shine next summer and sell it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Good Luck
BP:):cool:

I know!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhh....I get so little for myself - yet I want this AFTER my house/townhome - , puttin every nickle aside....Im sure I could turn this truck, but afraid i wouldnt want too, because the rush of a bigblock in this pickup would be an addiction!!! :)

ezbtr

Commander

Im guessing 429 parts still easy to get? 390 block correct?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a gas-guzzling moneypit to me.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im guessing 429 parts still easy to get? 390 block correct?

The 429 is from the late 60's/early 70's, parts shouldn't be any big deal to find. Original Hi Perf. parts will be scarce, but run of the mill 429 stuff is still around.
The 429 was the first incarnation of the 460 motor. No relation to the old 390 at all. In my opinion, the 429 was the better motor, more cubes, easier to work on, bigger heads, more torque out of the box.

The C6 was one of the best transmissions ever built, very few problems and they can take a good deal of abuse. They do eat up a lot of HP compared to a smaller trans but they're the only choice in a work truck or two vehicle until the mid 1980s in a Ford product.
Years ago I had a 460/C6 combo that I shoe horned into a 1956 F100, it was pretty much a stock motor with an aftermarket intake and mild cam and headers, nothing fancy, it was far more motor than that truck ever needed.
The downside is the fuel economy, that thing never broke the 10mpg mark, if you drove it like I did, it probably never hit 8 mpg.

They get better mileage on the open road than around town or light to light. The 429 heads, even the standard, non performance models, had huge ports and huge valves.

As with any motor, condition is everything in value, that truck is worth far less if the motor or trans needs an overhaul. If gas mileage was no issue, it's the combo of choice for me.