AQ280 alignment - New 5.7l motor

FOuR BuOYS

Cadet
Here is my problem, we have installed a rebuilt 5.7l motor, the leg is a Volvo Penta AQ280. We got everything back together but now are thinking about alignment. First thing we "did not" use the 884502 tool to check the clearances. However we did not adjust the motor mount on the old motor. We just unbolted it from the old motor and bolted it back onto the new one, putting it back in the same bolt holes. So I am think that we are probably pretty close.

The one issue we did have was getting the top of the 280 leg U-joint back together. It took a little bit of grunting and a wack on a wooden block. Is this a normal process or would the small missalignment casuse this.

I plan is to remove the top of the leg and start with the alignment tool and try again. Will it need a wack???

Thanks
Dale

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ280 alignment - New 5.7l motor

Sometimes the splines get dinged up a bit, and makes the yoke of the drive difficult to get on the splined shaft of the flywheel cover. Has nothing to do with the alignment.
When you use the tool, just make sure you have roughly the same gap on all 3 tabs. No reason to pull the drive or the upper gear box to do that.

FOuR BuOYS

Cadet
Re: AQ280 alignment - New 5.7l motor

Don

Thanks for the information it makes sense to me, so that is what I will do. I have the 884502 tool coming, found it on Ebay

Thank Again
Dale