Shaft swap between 90 to 94 gearcase

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice
Without repeating everything from an earlier post "88 SPL ?" I have a 1990 gearcase that I had planned on swapping the drive shafts between the two housings, keeping the same prop shaft and gears.

The 1994 is a two piece shaft, the 1990 is a one piece shaft. Other than needle bearing at the bottom of the shaft having a different part number, it still appears this might work if I keep the same parts on each shaft. The gear set at the bottom has the same part number.

Is this possible or what issues does one see? The 1990 housing is damaged and I purchased a used lower unit to replace the whole unit as opposed to doing a parts swap on another housing not realizing the shaft issue at time of purchase.

Would I be better to sell the 1994 lower unit and start looking for another 1990 model lower unit? The 1994 is extra clean and appears from the outside to be a good unit and the majority of the one piece shaft years look rought.

I am basing that I have a 1994 model based on the imprint on the carrier bearing housing and the top of the shaft having a wide groove and no o-ring like the 1990 model has.