Year End Tips?????

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Just read the article in Yahoo Finance about the "new" tipping rate for the year end tips. Doormen, paper delivery, trash pickup, are just a few of the people they think should be tipped. Interesting to read, and fairly short. The best part is to read the comments that people add at the end of the article. They are a hoot! Its fairly obvious that 99% of the responders do not agree with the author.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-N...r-usnews-1978037488.html?x=0#mwpphu-container

Are you going to give 25% to your door man? Hair dresser? How about the guys that work at the marina?

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Year End Tips?????

The only person i tip well are servers and pizza delivery guys, partly b/c i do both and know how annoying it is to get 1 to 2 bucks.....

but then again when i first started delivering pizzas the average was a 4-5 dollar tip all year around.... then the recession hit, and now the job is really no longer worth it to me, unfortuntely its the only job that works really well around my class schedule.

puddle jumper

Captain

I have to agree with the people on that one. I tip based on service.

The person who wrote that must be a rich man to be giving away $100 at a time.

I would consider tipping that large if that was the workers wage, with no pay check from the employer. The prices of the product would also have to reflect that also.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Years ago I received an instructional letter from my Postal Service employee on how I could leave him a tip.:eek: What? I'm supposed to tip you for doing your job?

I live in the country and the employee has a driver's route. Never gets out of his vehicle and for that I'm supposed to tip him. :mad:

I tip food servers based on the quality of service. If the food is bad, that's not their fault. But if I request a glass of water and it doesn't arrive till after I've eaten, that tip will be lowered.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Absolutely agree, tip based on service. I no longer tip the pizza delivery guy since they no longer give a crap around here, when I did it 20 years ago I would expect to not get a tip should the pizza I delivered not be hot, so I pick it up myself. I tip well for good service and/or good food they are tied at the hip, no matter how good the service is, if the food is crap I tell the server he/she needs to talk to the cook for the rest of their tip, I also inform the manager of the issue. I went to the Cheesecake Factory and the food was good even if it was obviously microwaved at least once, but the service was garbage and the price was completely out of line for the product they provided, then they tagged a gratuity onto my bill talk about a nuclear explosion! I was mad too but the wife oh boy!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

My mom always tipped the garbage men every Xmas. She felt (and I agree to some degree) that they did thankless jobs. Yes, they are paid well, but how many people want to be garbage men? I don't know if there is any correlation, but whenever we had something big or heavy, they always took it, and we weren't charged extra. I think a holiday tip is appropriate for people that serve you regularly not matter what, even though it's their job. Paperboys, mailmen, garbage men, and the like. I think my dad also tipped the attendant at the gas station that he used.

I think tipping these people, or people that aren't 'expecting' a tip, does get you better service in the end.

I hate tipping the person who cuts my hair. I do it, but reluctantly. When I was younger, I had jobs that were tip-jobs (paperboy, valet parker, pizza guy, etc), so I know the meaning of a tip. I also did my best (delivered papers during a blizzard, fast to retrieve your car, didn't spit on your pizza) for you, in hopes of a tip, not expecting a tip. That's the difference I see today; too many people feel it's their right to your money, and don't go the extra mile anymore.

But what do I know...

tommays

Admiral

I tip people like waiters because of the way the wage law allows them to be under payed

Its not like you leave a tip at a fast food place and when my garbage man can at least return the can to the lawn and not let it spend the day in the street i might think about it

Brewman61

Ensign

I tip waiters, bartenders, cab drivers, bellmen, hair cutters, etc..
I don't tip the person who drives by my house at warp 4 and tosses the Sunday paper sorta towards my driveway. I don't tip the person who hauls my trash- they make a lot of money- way more than minimum wage.
And for sure I won't tip the mail delivery person. They are also well compensated.
I also refuse to put money in "TIPS" jars set on counters at coffee shops, deli's, etc.......
I also do not allow "automatic" tips to be added to my restuaurant bill. I will adjust the amount to what I want it to be. Tipping should NEVER be mandatory.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

TIP.....= To Insure Prompt Service.

how much you tip.....if you tip.....who you tip.....is up to you.

people have been trained to beleive they have to give 2 hours of their labor at work (25 bux) to a person that just served them dinner at a resturant.

this is totally your call

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tip a waitress/waitor.... if they provide service like they care. I do however find it annoying that long ago somebody was able to convince us that we should pay their employee's for them. It is truly ridiculous really.:mad: