changing color of boat (winter project) best way to do it?

winterblues

Cadet
this is my winter project. i would like to change the color scheme from teal to red. i plan on removing the bottom paint cause it's flaking off real bad and would like to re-paint that aswell. whats the best way to get this paint off marked with the arrow. thanks fellas!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: changing color of boat (winter project) best way to do it?

The upper blue appears to be gelcoat. I do not think you want to get it off just cover it up. BC/CC with a suitable primer will cover it as well as any from the manufacturers here. You could gel it. Wait for a response from YD or some of the other experts they will steer you in the right path.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Basically two ways to go, GelCoat or Paint. Depending on your experience, desired results, costs these things will drive your decision. Yacht Doctor usually recommends Gelcoat but sometimes goes with paint. I don't have the experience he has with Gel so I go with paint. Lot's of choices with Paint. IMHO easier to apply(YD will disagree) but with both the work is ALL in the prep. Prep takes 90% of the time. Lots of guys here on iBoats use Interlux products and well as EasyPoxy. You can Google them up and check em out. It's your boat and your decision, but my advice is to do most of your research on how to prep your boat for paint or Gelcoat. That's where the work is.

This will get you started down the right path.
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/paint/index.cfm

I'm just sayin...:D

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

This sounds like your first boat paint project.

You don't want to remove the gel coat.
You do want to remove the rub rail, if you don't and just use masking tape around it, there is a chance water/moisture can get behind the paint.
Do not paint the bottom with anything but anti-foiling paint.

If I were you, I would remove the bottom paint, remove the rub rail , anything bolted in that paint area and bring it to a good body shop and make sure they use marine paint Dupont, Imron, Interlux
NOT base/coat clear/coat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Actually my firt question would be the application meathod... spray or roll and tip ?

If your spraying then skies the limit... if rolling that will narrow your choices.

Prep and primer can greatly vary as well.

So basically.. how and what are you going to be applying your coating ?

and no..you dont need to remove the teal gel.

YD.

winterblues

Cadet

thank you all for the replies! the only part i plan on painting is just the teal sides that run along the rub rail. most of the anti-fouling paint chips off really easy exposing the white underneath. funny question but i'm looking to take the easiest and cheapest way through lol. but with that said, i dont have to completley remove the teal color gel coat in order to paint it again? awlgrip or imtron? sorry but im a newbie here lol.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

i dont have to completley remove the teal color gel coat in order to paint it again? awlgrip or imtron?

Not only don't you have to.....you absolutely don't want to. Just thoroughly scuff it up and prime it with a primer compatible with whatever your chosen top coat it. Personally, I'd roll and tip it, and go with whatever paint Yacht Doctor tells you would work best with that method :)

winterblues

Cadet

that is GREAT news to hear! I thought i had to completely remove the color in order to prime and paint. i know i'm in for lots of sanding but its only the part underneather the rub rails thar run from stern to bow. i do plan on using a roller. thanks for all the info guys and YD!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Fishbone why not base/coat clear/coat Many boat manufacturers have been using it for years? It must be sprayed on but what is the downfalls?

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Fishbone why not base/coat clear/coat Many boat manufacturers have been using it for years? It must be sprayed on but what is the downfalls?

A lot of auto body shops will steer away from enamel, Dupont, Imron.
IMHO a lot of them don't know how to do it right, complete drying takes up to a month to fix any mistakes. Orange peel, runs.
A base/coat clear/coat mistake can be fixed the next day or two.
Enamel is a more durable finish.

FYI I have used a REALLY good brush for side stripes/accents and had good results..I never used a roller, but that doesn't say it can't be done.

Question, is there teal vinyl on the seats/upholstery or a teal Bimini?
It may not look right with red side accents and teal upholstery.

winterblues

Cadet

yes there is teal in the boat, mostly vinyl surfaces. the seats however are teal but are already torn off the boat. i have replaced them with plain white ones. however the stern seating and bow seating will have to get replaced with new vinyl as the old ones still have teal accents on them.

u mentioned a brush is what you used and not a roller. what size grit to you reccommend sanding the gel with for prime and paint?

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

yes there is teal in the boat, mostly vinyl surfaces. the seats however are teal but are already torn off the boat. i have replaced them with plain white ones. however the stern seating and bow seating will have to get replaced with new vinyl as the old ones still have teal accents on them.

Ok, that makes sense.
FYI there are a few basic boat colors, white (of coarse) red or burgundy, blue, teal, brown and black...boaters 'usually' don't mix them!:)

u mentioned a brush is what you used and not a roller. what size grit to you reccommend sanding the gel with for prime and paint?

Not knowing the paint condition you're dealing with, start with 220 then go to 400.
Prime with a good poly (two stage) sandable primer.
Let dry then sand with 220, then 440 then 600 wet paper if you're satisfied it's ready to paint. I usually go to 1000 wet paper.

The finish should be FLAT, dull and smooth!

Not sure if you're going with brush or 'roller' if I were you I would use a sandable sealer.
The sealer is important, if you don't it will show. Your top coat might have wet/dry spots depending how much paint absorbed into the primer.
The sealer controls that.
Repeat sanding. 400, 600

The paint will not hide much...scratches, divots, holes will show.

WOODONGLASS I just learned something!

Notice the link Woodonglass provided, the only issue was dust!
Clean your work area...floor, hull...GO EAT or take a break for a few hours or so and let the dust settle, then wet the floor to keep the dust down.
If you're satisfied, then you're ready to paint.
With the brush or 'roller' don't keep going over it, those brush strokes will flatten out. Cover the surface and move on!

Painting 101!
Show us your pictures when you finish!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello again Winter..

Is there a reason that you want to roll and tip ? No place to spray im assuming ?

Your wanting to prep..roll on primer..then reprep..and roll/tip topcoat ? am I getting this correct ?

If your dead on just the roll and tip ( you kinda have to give us a direction of what kinda of paint here..dont ask me because I only deal in high end stuff ) then you have to keep in mind about your RED final finish..

RED IS TRANSPARENT !! meaning..your not going to cover like you think you are even in a spray application..not to mention a roll and tip off !

Your going to be applying..sanding..applying sanding...etc ( probably 5 coats depending on what your paint is ).

Now IF..you were to gel this..simple stripe..You would sand with 80 grit and Spray 4 coats. Then sand with 320-400 then 600 (lightly) then 1200..then buff till its a friggin mirror. No worries about dust..spiders doing the ol' repelling trick down the side of the paint ..etc..

IF you decide on the Spray of top of the line AWLGRIP ( or AwlCraft2000/Imron ). Then I suggest sanding your gel to 120 grit..prime with 2 part epoxy primer ( like US paints 545 or Awlquick ) .. then sand with 360 .. wash/clean..clean..clean again..then tack rag then spray a coat or 2 of Yellow before you spray your RED..( to cover your primer as a base ). Then after the 3-4 coats of Red is on..wait for a week and then wetsand with 2000 grit ( your going to have orange peel after that many coats ) and buff/polish 2-4 times.

Now if your going to do the Rusto or Inerlux perfection or equivelent then you have to wait for someone else to respond. Sorry..I dont do those things.

I say Gel-Coat it m8.. :) .. your learning curve is lower with this stuff and expense is lower..and the outcome is just as good if not better then even the best Marine grade paints !.. You just need to find a spot for 3 hours to spray it ( and its not paint and will not atomize as much as paint.. Ive done just what you have there in a garage.

GET A RESPORATOR no matter which way you decide..

IF you decide after Considerable Reading and Research that you want to go the Gel way..let us know ( We/ I will be here to guide you though it ( its EZ :) )).

YD.

PS. If anyone wants to tell you its just so simple to Paint a boat just like that has had many many years exp to back them up ( like me yes and others here ) but for a first timer..its not Real World your going to do what We do..expect less quick result and expect more time and labor/$ .

PSS. I see no reason not to consider BaseCoat/Clear in the application if you find a color that meets your likeing :) .. JUST please dont say a metallic color catches your eye ;) .. that would be a long post hehe.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

YD, I'm coming to MI and paiting your boat with Rustoleum while you're at work. :p

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

YD, I'm coming to MI and paiting your boat with Rustoleum while you're at work. :p

:) .. Im smart...I dont own a boat :D .. heheeh..

But hey..if your seriously in the location..My wife cooks a mean souflette ;) . gimme a PM when you have a chance near bye :) .

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

YD,

Doncha think you should tell him what all equipment is involved in spraying gel. Just in case he does NOT have it all just layin around like you do. I read recently where you wanted all of us to give more details when we were trying to help the noobs here in iBoats.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Aye....sorry Winter..Wood is right..my bad...

You would need an Air Compressor to spray .. with like a sprayer..

Spray guns help too..( they need air compressors though ).

Wood..I dont even know what the m8 wants to do so LAY OFF !!.. Or contribute in some kind of understatable way other then suggesting another post that requires Hours of reading man !

Yes Gel would require a simple harbor F. cup gun..and a simple compressor.. ( not the same CFM as would be for IMRON or AWLG. ) ...

For The OP.. GEl it m8 :) .

YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Easy big man I was interested in knowing this too. I have a 2.5 tipped Ebay gun will this spray it? I for one really appreciate your opinion on gel and heck anything boat for that matter. I cant even begin to think you dont own 4 or 5:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

YD You ARE a Piece of work first You don't READ what the OP said. He SAID he wanted to to do it the Easiest and Cheapest Way. Second YOU told him...
"IF you decide after Considerable Reading and Research that you want to go the Gel way..let us know ( We/ I will be here to guide you though it ( its EZ :) ))" and then you gripe at me for giving him a post to research roll and tip painting. In that post it FULLY describes what he would need to accomplish the task. Your post did not give ANY details on what it would take to GelCoat his boat. And then you gripe at others on this forum for NOT giving NOOBS enuf details.
I am sick and tired of YOU telling me to back off everytime I point out some of your shortcomings. You always feel free to tell others when you think they are NOT giving adequate advice but boy you sure don't like it when someone points out your shortcomings. So in your words "Lay OFF!!!"