Replacing Bunk Boards and Hardware

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got some funky bunk board brackets that need some corrections. Unlike all the rectangular brackets that I see in catalogs, mine is tubular. I don't know if it was supposed to be suitable for boat bunk boards or if somebody just decided to make do with what he had.

In any case, while my boards are OK with the boat on them, they want to float off with the boat off them. Looking at what I have, it would appear that some of the hardware has rusted away. I want to repair/replace as needed. The bunk boards themselves will be replaced in any case as there's no carpet on one side now.

011_[640x480]-yLHEx.jpg

You can't see my brackets real clearly but it's dark out and I don't have a better picture at the moment.

Does anybody know what I need to get and from whom?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Replacing Bunk Boards and Hardware

At minimum some pressure treated 2x4's or 2x6's (prefferably marine grade/use treated).
Some hot dipped 1-1/2" log lag bolts and flat washers.
Some bunk carpet that looks like a pressed mass of tangled fibers.
Hot dipped galvanized roofing nails.

jayhanig

I decided the hell with it: I towed it to a local marina that advertises trailer repair and told them to make it right. They're supposed to call me with an estimate in a day or two.

Ether they can fix the current system or they can surely replace the brackets with the more standard ones. I'm open to either but I don't want to be in the same boat, so to speak, next fall.

jayhanig

The folks at Johnson Marine called this afternoon and proposed changing out all of the hardware, brackets, bunkboards, etc with all new stuff. I wasn't surprised.

I could come out of this a lot cheaper just fixing what was there but I'd still have a lot of non-standard hardware and every repair would be a PITA.

I told them to go ahead. Everything will be brought up to current standards. One more thing to check off my list.:cool: