Captains Call Exhaust

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone tell me if there is a true performance improvement when running in Thru-Hull or is this feature just for "show" or I guess for "hear" in this case.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Captains Call Exhaust

I can only repeat what I have read here that above 300hp yes.

boat1010

From some of the articles that I have read the Captain's Choice or call, will increase the horse power 6 to 10% depending on the engine. I would guess it is about the same as putting headders with cut outs on a car.

Bondo

Staff member

or is this feature just for "show" or I guess for "hear" in this case.

Ayuh,... For 98% of the boats out there, it's Purely a Noise factor....

The other 2% are boats with Monster motors, 'n True Headers breathin' into those cut-outs....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Can anyone tell me if there is a true performance improvement when running in Thru-Hull or is this feature just for "show" or I guess for "hear" in this case.

I had Capts Call on my 211 Liberator when I had the 340(crankshaft)HP 460 Ford V-8 installed.

With the previous installation, I could switch from relative quiet to ear-splitting BBF noise!!

It made no difference in performance.

When I repowered with the 454/Bravo installation, I left the Capts Call on the garage floor.............. It seems to work well there.....:rolleyes:

AND everyone that rides in the boat now (who experienced the shock & AWE of Capts Call) thanks me for it!!!

rbezdon

Looks like what I expected, no real gain but a more impressive sound. I only have the 5.0MPI and I didnt expect much, if any difference. Guess it is a good way for the manufacturers to add some nice $$$$$ to the list price.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Looks like what I expected, no real gain but a more impressive sound. I only have the 5.0MPI and I didnt expect much, if any difference. Guess it is a good way for the manufacturers to add some nice $$$$$ to the list price.

After I removed all the OMC 460 King Kobra junk and installed the Mercruiser junk......I started selling everything piece by piece.

It took me a couple of years since I wasn't in much of a hurry to do it. I still have a couple of SS props and some other stuff including the Capts Call stuff!

SO far I am up to about $3400 for what I have sold so far!

I think I can sell that CC stuff on ebay easily. ( I hope they don't come here and ask if they should buy it though!!!!
toothlessgiggler.gif
)

45Auto

Commander

My 22' Crownline bowrider with a 496HO, 425HP, has Captain's Call exhaust. There is absolutely NO performance difference in speed (GPS) or fuel mileage (Smartcraft gauges) switching it between thru-prop and thru-hull. The roar from the thru-hulls does sound cool for a couple of minutes until it gets old, and they're GREAT for cranking the boat next to the dock and scaring little kids!

They're neat if you like the sound of an unmuffled V8, but from what I understand from the OSO (Off-Shore Only) bunch, performance-wise you'll have to be pushing around 500 HP before you see any difference.