how cold is winterizing winter?

ebkolove

Cadet
I live in central texas...we never see much less than about 20 odd degrees. Is this cold enough to warrant a full blow winterizing? Even a coffee mug of water left outside in the middle of winter will only crust over. The waterways don't freeze, and folks are on the lake year round. I have a '76 jonnyrude 135 OB 4 cyl.

If I do need to winterize...how do I go about doing it?

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: how cold is winterizing winter?

Most people winterize for long periods of cold weather and long periods being un-used.

For outboards:
Winterizing can be as much as running the boat in RV anti-freeze to get all the water out and what ever is left will be RV anti-freeze, while running the RV anti-freeze they 'fog' the motor with a fogging oil, sprayed into the carbs while running, it's a spray designed to coat the inside of the carbs with a lubricant. (You would have a hard time finding it in Texas)
Then they would remove the plugs and spray some more fogging oil into the cylinders.
Put the plugs back and see it next spring!

I live in Eastern NC, we get overnight freezes weekly, I leave my motor leg down so any water drains out, there's very little left to freeze.

I top off the tank and use Marine Stabil.
(You should be using a gas treatment ALL the time.)
Un-bolt the battery terminals and keep a batter tender on them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the sticky top secret file at the begining of this forum. Look for winterizing.

I use my boat through the winter as weather permits. It'll sometimes freeze for several days, sometimes it'll be in the 50's or 60's, probably similar to the weather you see. All I do is change the lower unit lube before it gets too cold (checking for water in the oil), change my fuel/water separator cartridge, perform preventive maintenance (including new water pump every 2 or 3 years depending on usage), pull prop to check for fishing line, and last but not least store boat with the engine down so water's not going to freeze in the prop hub.

Rick.

Captain

Boy you guys have it made. Our winter up here can start in October and last until late April and our still water freezes for that entire time. Lots of our locals ice fish but I've never had much desire for that. A mug of water left outside here will be a broken mug by morning. I would enjoy very much being able to use my boat year round. Rick.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

With temps in the 20's i would at least Sta-bil the fuel and drain the block and manifolds..
Why take that chance?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Winterizing is less of a freezing issue, than one of how long the motor is laid up. Three or four months or more, and you need to fog the motor at minimum, grease the fittings, change the gear oil and leave the motor stored in a vertical position. BTW, outboards never need anti-freeze when stored vertically.

ebkolove

Cadet

thanks everyone so much...I had a feeling that we weren't cold enough to do something crazy, and the longest I think I can go without being on the water is a month or two. I have drained the motor as best I can, and run stabil all the time. I'll look into lubing the carbs too, but I plan to rebuild them soon anyhow. I think the big projects are new seats for next season anyways...not too much on the mechanical end

With temps in the 20's i would at least Sta-bil the fuel and drain the block and manifolds..
Why take that chance?

I was assuming we were talking about an outboard and not an I/O since this is in the JohnnyRude Outboard forum. :)