jump start packs

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have much expierence with these things. Do they work well and hold charges?

the Admiralless and I have been talking about getting one and keeping it on the boat and doing away with the jumpercables. That way we could also have a mobile power source if we needed it as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recomendations.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: jump start packs

Yes they work good.
Buy a good one!

I found a Craftsman portable charger in the dumpster at my shop.
The idiot lost the power converter to charge it and threw it away when it went dead!

I re-charged it using a battery charger...it lasted about 3 years!
When that battery died and wouldn't hold a charge, I bought a lawn mower battery that fit the case and I've had it another 3 years!

RWILLIAMS

Cadet

I have used one for years and never had a problem with it. Some models have a reverse polarity alarm that will sound if you get the cables crossed to prevent you from frying you electrical system or electronics. Others have small built in 110 volt inverters also. As for holding a charge, most of them can be left on their chargers until ready to use and hold a charge like regular batteries. They also have a 12 volt charger cord that can be used while your boat is running to recharge the jumper pak.
Mine has saved me from having to call someone for a jump because I left my radio/electronics on too long and ran my battery down. They are very useful around the house also for jump starting your car or lawnmower.
Just make sure that you check your boat engine starting requirements (Starting amps / CCA) and get a jumper pak that has the required amperage.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

They are always a good investment!

If you feel like spending a little extra cash, get one with a 110V inverter built in. It won't run a microwave or fridge obviously, but its great for running any small demand 110V device.

You could also try going the cheap route, and find a lightly used one cheap or free with a spent battery. If you can turn a screw driver, you can replace the battery fairly easily. The average battery in those is a 17-22AH gel cell that can be had from 30-40 bucks if you shop wisely.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like mine....great for keeping the phone charged in the motel w/ 12vdc charger instead of having to bring the wall charger.

Don't worry too much about CCA - even a 'dead' boat battery will provide some oomph.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a Die Hard jump box. Its kind of bulky, but it fits under my rear seat. Its got 2 12V outlets and 2 110V outlets, a light, and a air compressor on the backside (I filled a trailer tire to 50 psi with it). It works like a charm, I've started many boats at the ramp with it, but I've never used it on my own boat (its funny how that happens). I recharge mine a couple times during the year, but I probably should charge it more often.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone have much expierence with these things. Do they work well and hold charges?

the Admiralless and I have been talking about getting one and keeping it on the boat and doing away with the jumpercables. That way we could also have a mobile power source if we needed it as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recomendations.

Yes they work good.
Buy a good one!

I found a Craftsman portable charger in the dumpster at my shop.
The idiot lost the power converter to charge it and threw it away when it went dead!

I re-charged it using a battery charger...it lasted about 3 years!
When that battery died and wouldn't hold a charge, I bought a lawn mower battery that fit the case and I've had it another 3 years!

yea what he said :cool: I bought a few cheapies from harbor freight and I would have been better off carrying around a couple extra batteries LOL but 4 years back I bought one form napa that says "JNC 660" and it still works great.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have had one in the past for a car maybe 9 years back but lost the charging cord. I tried charging it with the battery charger and the whole unit was close to bursting. The one time I needed it on a cold Minnesota winter day, it wasn't enough to do the job. I was considering getting one for the boat though. I hate only having a single battery set up and nothing to fall back on.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Allright well I ordered the Duracell. Just liked the idea of not only a jump but as a portable power station.
I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the help guys.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I have a black and decker jumper pack. Have not had to use it yet but gives me piece of mind, especially during the weeknights with nobody around.

woosterken

Lieutenant

just got a northern tool catalog today ,they have a couple nice ones , one even has a150 psi compressor (northerntool .com)

woosterken

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a smaller one I picked up at Auto Zone. 300 crank amps. I let my truck battery go dead. I hooked up the jump box and tried to start the truck, nothing happened. I was very disappointed. Should have thrown the piece of junk in the trash right then but didn't. Since it was night time in my condo parking lot I figured I would just deal with the problem in the morning. Later that night I was on an internet forum for trucks and I mentioned my problem and the piece of crap jump box. Another forum member responded to hook the jump box up to the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes. I hooked it up, waited the 5 minutes or so and turned the key. The truck turned over like it had a brand new battery in it. The only thing I can figure out is with these smaller units it needs a little time to transfer some power over to your dead battery. I am guessing with a much larger unit like 600 amps you would not need this waiting period.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I bought one for me and one for my brother for X-mas last year. 900 CCA, 12v power outlet and a plug in 12v work light. The chaarger is great...you can plug any standard extension cord into the back for 1 hour.

I've used mine a few times and my brother says he used his 10+ times, mostly on other peoples vehicles (he keeps it in his work van). I put mine on the boat whenever we go out. Thankfully never needed it. Great investment though.

As was posted, once hooked up, you have to wait a few minutes for it to recharge the car battery, same as you would when jump starting from another car.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought one for me and one for my brother for X-mas last year. 900 CCA, 12v power outlet and a plug in 12v work light. The chaarger is great...you can plug any standard extension cord into the back for 1 hour.

I've used mine a few times and my brother says he used his 10+ times, mostly on other peoples vehicles (he keeps it in his work van). I put mine on the boat whenever we go out. Thankfully never needed it. Great investment though.

As was posted, once hooked up, you have to wait a few minutes for it to recharge the car battery, same as you would when jump starting from another car.

Can you post a link to the one you have. Thanks

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Replaced a 400A/1200A peak pack with the Diehard 950A a few years ago and it just plan works. The smaller one was ok for 4 cylinders, lawn mower, etc., but the big blocks need a whole lot more. Buy one that will fit your needs.:D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Can you post a link to the one you have. Thanks

You can probably find it for less if you look around. This one is for 850 CCA and Wal-Mart sells one that is 750 CCA. These might be good enough, depending on what you need. If I really need mine, it's going to either fire up a 7.4L Mercruiser or at least the genset, which will charge the starting batteries. It started my Ford truck withou any issue at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-IP-1850FL-Instant-Power-Starter/dp/B000T8SVTU

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I just bough the one from Walmart-750 amps,12 volt power supply,and air compressor. $50. Schumacher is a well known brand.