Problem with a 5 year old 1.7ms 120hp inboard mercruiser engine!

jobsonsplace

Cadet
Hello all,
I need some help with an engine fault please, does any one recognise the following fault description?

the fault on the engine is as follows.
---------------------------------------
I started the engine and it started easily, it also sounded perfectly o.k.

After 3 or so minutes the engine pitch and sound changed very slightly as though it was being labored with a slight loading causing a decrease in rpm.

30 seconds later I smelt, what I thought was, an Electrical burning smell. I quickly shut the Engine and 12volt power off. I pulled the Engine cover off and and smoke billowed out of the Engine bay, there was no fire.

When the smoke had cleared I inspected the Engine, especially the wiring and could see no sign off damage, Mechanically and Electrically everything looked fine.

I turned the 12volt power back on, there was no more smoke and the dashboard controls worked o.k.

When I tried to start the Engine again all that happened was a loud clicking from what I thought was the starter solenoid.
----------------------------------------------

I have read your "tips on trouble shooting your engine starting system" and will try it when the snow stops but my first concern is what has burnt out!

regards
Paul.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Problem with a 5 year old 1.7ms 120hp inboard mercruiser engine!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Paul...

What the 'ell is a "1.7ms 120hp inboard mercruiser",..??

Not enough Info to draw any conculsions at this point...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you have water hooked up to the outdrive (if you have one) for cooling?
If it wasn't getting water for some (maybe frozen since you mentioned snow) it may very well have overheated and burned the exhaust hose where it connects to the transom.
I know the D1.7 is a diesel engine, but not sure what a 1.7ms is.

jobsonsplace

Cadet

If there was that much smoke,

Check your V-belts.

Check the engine coupler.

V belts were all perfectly o.k with no sign of wear. I've assumed the fault is starter motor related as I cannot now start the engine.

cheeers Paul.

jobsonsplace

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Paul...

What the 'ell is a "1.7ms 120hp inboard mercruiser",..??

Not enough Info to draw any conculsions at this point...

it's a cummings mercruiser diesel english version perhaps!

cheers
paul

jobsonsplace

Cadet

Did you have water hooked up to the outdrive (if you have one) for cooling?
If it wasn't getting water for some (maybe frozen since you mentioned snow) it may very well have overheated and burned the exhaust hose where it connects to the transom.
I know the D1.7 is a diesel engine, but not sure what a 1.7ms is.

It's a english version of cummins mercruiser diesel.

I'm sure the smoke was electrical and related to the starter motor as it will not start any more!

cheers paul.

Don S

If you are getting power to the starter, it's possible that when you started it the first time, the starter stayed engaged while the engine was running, and may be what the problem is. Might remove the starter and have it tested.

jobsonsplace

Cadet

If you are getting power to the starter, it's possible that when you started it the first time, the starter stayed engaged while the engine was running, and may be what the problem is. Might remove the starter and have it tested.

It's sounds like a good explanation. do you think I can assume it's not the starter solenoid as I can hear a load click when I attempt to start the engine, I assume one cannot hear the slave solenoid engage?

cheers
Paul

Don S

I wouldn't assume anything, use a meter or test light and test the solenoid. It may not be electrical as to why the starter didn't disengage, if that infact is the problem. It could be rust or corrosion on the bendix shaft.

jobsonsplace

Cadet

I wouldn't assume anything, use a meter or test light and test the solenoid. It may not be electrical as to why the starter didn't disengage, if that infact is the problem. It could be rust or corrosion on the bendix shaft.

cheers Don thanks for your help