volvo penta to mercuiser

AQ171C270SP

Cadet
the boat is a 1990 welcraft. I can get a complete mercruiser setup for a good price.will the transom mount be the same or will I have to cut and fabricate. I do not want to run the volvo anymore as it is getting to hard to find parts,I currently have an AQ171C with an SP-A outdrive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta to mercuiser

The hole in the transom is a lot bigger than the Merc. You will need to rebuild the transom and recut.

You can see in the cutout comparison below, you have the 290 to DP-E cutout with your present drive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercruiser makes an adaptor, you can bolt on the boat transom, in the original VP hole. On this adaptor you can then mount the Mercruiser Transom.

In my marina there is an older boat that used to have 2x 290 VP drives, he now has Mercruisers, and these adaptors.

Attachments

• mercruiser_Adaptor.jpg
    mercruiser_Adaptor.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member

AQ171C270SP

Cadet

Thank you all who took the time to answer.Now with this info I have to make a decision.1. rebuild transom and go with mercruiser 2.buy an adapter 800.00 or rebuild transom and hang an outboard on a jack plate.I really like the boat and the hull and transom and stringers are in good solid condition. Or sell the boat for what I can get and buy another boat which It would be a gamble that I am buying another headache as I can not afford new. I am looking for popular opinion on what way to go. so please offer yours. Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Pluggin' the transom, 'n recuttin' is a couple hundred Bucks, at the most...
Scraps of plywood, 'n some epoxy...
Don has pictures of the scaled patterns around here somewhere,...

Outboard swaps, Generally, ain't the best way to go...

rjedney

Cadet

I removed a volvo 290 and fiberglassed a 1/4 thick piece of glass off and old boat after measuring and location where the m/c unit hole needed to be. This gave me a finished look 0n the outside. I then filled in my beveled transom with 1/4 external plywood and glass mat, using woven every other layer. This had my m/c hole laid out. Made a strong repair for less than $100. I am very pleased with my conversion, if you saw the boat you would not notice this unless pointed out to you. It only takes about 8 hrs. but there is waiting time for drying. This can be quicker if you use a space heater. Go do it, wish I was there to help you.

captmello

Captain

I've got an older Volvo and have no trouble finding parts. Is there something wrong with your current setup that can't be fixed?