1st post, total newb needs your thoughts!

Glowplug007

Seaman
Hello all, I have been lurking in the shadows for awhile now, I believe you have the best boating forum on the net and I humbly seek your knowledge and expertise!

So I have alot to put in here, sorry because it will probably be long. I have a somewhat unique situation so i thought for you to best assist me, you might need to know where im coming from and why it has lead me to where im at.

2 years ago my wife and I (abt30yrs old) took a ride on my deceased brothers boat. From that moment we knew we would own one and the time has finally come for us to take the plunge. We have had boat fever for 2 years after being on one, she wants to do this as much as i do. We realize its a lifestyle choice and more involved then most hobbies.

We have no kids and arent planning any. We only have a handfull of friends we would actually hang out with, so in all likelihood there would only ever be 4 people total on the boat. We plan on using the boat on cave run lake in KY, its an 8000 acre lake about an hour away.

I travel with my job and most weeks I fly out Mon and fly back Fri, so I really only have time for anything related to boating on the weekends. Also I dont have any "boat" people as friends. We know one couple that has a nice boat but we arent close to them or anything.

Now that you know all that, heres the nitty gritty. If my logic is seriously flawed in some way, if im not taking something into account, or if you have a better set of executable plans in mind feel free to let me know. Its why im writing this! :

My wife and I are 97% ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 2010 Bayliner 175. Heres why, again if any of this is stupid tell me!

Dealer is offering 2,000$ discount to get rid of his remaining 2010 stock. Comes with trailer and bimini top. Since i have no boat friends, dealer support will be crucial. I dont have to take delivery till the season starts. Also he said if I buy a boat from them they will ride with me to teach me how to launch and retrieve, and also use all the features, which for me is a HUGE plus because I have never done any of this before! They also offer winter storage for 35 bucks a month, winterization is about 250 bucks as well.

Why this boat? 1) Being brand new and under warrenty, theoretically it should be mostly trouble free operation.( I realize S**T happens) This is important because only being home on the weekends I dont have time to tinker on anything, kinda just need to get in and go as much as possible.

2) It has what we want and its cheap by comparison to anything else in the "new" catagory. Per wife-bowrider is a must. I could afford a 185 but we just like cruising at about 25mph, maybe pull a tube or throw a fishing line like 1x a year. Plus the 175 is light and seems spacious for 4 people. We will be towing it with a 2004 Toyota Higlander 2wd V6. I know im pushing the limits of this vehicle as it is so couldnt go bigger then a 175 without a new vehicle, which I dont want.
*As far as towing the thing goes* I plan on buying a covered slip at the marina for the year (only 800 bucks) so I wont be towing the boat often, get it there, put it in the water and pull it only for maintenece and winter storage. Also might spend 4th of july on the ohio river in cincinnati. Dealer said my suv would be fine with that plan. I know hes just trying to sell me a boat but he also mentioned that if I were planning on trailering the boat every weekend I should get a truck. So somewhat honest of him?

I thought about used boats but, if I buy from a private seller I wont have a dealership relationship, which so far I think will prove very benificial. Also as stated im only home on the weekends so I think I need to go with whatever is statistically going to be more reliable. I can also be a perfectionist so I dont think I would be happy with a used boat if it had a handfull of imperfections on it.(I know I will cause some-but im talking about initial purchase)

So folks, what have I forgotten? Does this sound like a decent game plan for a new to boating boater in my situation? The only thing I wonder about is keeping the boat clean if its in the water all season? Most 10 year old boats ive seen and the paint is always faded, upholstery is always cracked. Can this be avoided or is it ineveitable regardless of care level?

Apologize for the length, thanks in advance for your input, I have no where else to turn!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1st post, total newb needs your thoughts!

Welcome to iboats!!

That new Bayliner is a great boat for the money and I will warn you up front...... the 175 model shrinks!! Yes you read that right...SHRINKS!

In very short order you will have 2 foot fever and want something bigger :D

A couple of years ago one of our member's reviewed the B-liner here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252648 Good honest review.

Take a boater safety course (have the wife take it with you ;))

Practice backing up in a big parking lot.

Make a checklist to launch the boat.

Once you are "into" it the winterizing is not too hard.

Ask any question you would like!

Bondo

Staff member

We realize its a lifestyle choice and more involved then most hobbies.
We only have a handfull of friends we would actually hang out with, so in all likelihood
Also I dont have any "boat" people as friends. We know one couple that has a nice boat but we arent close to them or anything.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Glowplug,...

This "Hobby" usually turns inta things Way Bigger than you can Imagine...

Pull the trigger, 'n you'll have Boating Friends all over your area by a year from now...

'ell,... You've got Boatin' Friends All around the World, as of Right now....;)

cribber

Lieutenant

Welcome to the forum and I was where you're at a couple of years ago. Go for the new boat but don't give up the notion of the 185. You'll appreciate the extra room down the road. Also ask if the dealer will throw in a boater's safety course into the deal. A new boat under full warranty alleviates repair issues and allows you to build your boating knowledge without repair worries or headaches. So if you can afford it go for it!! Your Highlander should be able to tow 3500 lbs since I use my 2004 Pacifica to tow my setup. We picked up a 2008 Glastron GT-185 with a 3.0L Volvo Penta I/O package.

pduquette

Ensign

Great to have the backing of the better half !! Start with a boaters safety course for the both of you, even before you buy the boat . Network , meet new friends there too . Most likely they will be locals . Have your Admiral know everything ,so you can work together to prep a trip , drive the boat , and be safe and fun together !! BTW (not familiar with that boat) have you thought about potty resources for the admiral too ?? An important issue once you hit the water!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

While I generally do not recommend new boats (over late-model used) in your case it makes perfect sense to pay more and get the reliability, service and peace of mind. Your storage costs are light and anything can pull a 17' boat. But if you do move up, you will take a hit. Boats are not investments; they are expenses.

I agree with practicing the trailer backing over the winter if you can.

When you go for your maiden voyage (after the dealer demo) either bring an experienced boater with you, or just you and your wife. Don't bring friends and family until you are comfortable. You cannot beat having an experienced boater on board.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You will bang into the dock, spill something, forget something, etc. The boat is an outdoor piece of equipment, not a fine antique table. Put it through its paces.

Look for some opportunities to try, safely, adverse conditions so you will know your boat, and skills, if you get into difficulty.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I agree with your reasoning, except for one point: You say you're not planning on having children (I have a couple I could give you), but you WILL be having a new baby- the boat!:D

To the rest of you guys: What a warm welcome. Not a new boat or Bayliner basher in sight!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the site and soon to the boating community. I will give you the opposite advice, I disagree with buying a new boat, in this economy there is an unbelievable amount of good boats out there for you that wont drop in value once you drive off the showroom floor, also don't put to much into the dealer relationship, they are *****s just not cheap ones! Not saying that to be demeaning but they want your money no matter how they get it and thats no different then anyone else and this site has a crap load of boaters, offer up beer and your probably gonna need a bigger boat just for the amount of people that will show up and teach you the ropes. I do agree with 2 footitis its a horrible disease but it hits every boater in your situation so buying a used boat I think would be a better value for the money since I will bet you dinner in a year or two it will be replaced by another anyway.

Good Luck
Lipp

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, you are in for a treat with your new boat. Sounds to me like you have thought it through and come up with the right decision that best suits your wants and needs. Good for you! I went with a "new" boat too for a lot of the same reasons you cited and have not regretted it one bit. And, I have a good relationship with my dealer too. Sure it's all business but they are working to keep my business especially for when we decide to upgrade. Note I said when-not if!!!

Good luck and enjoy!

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Incredible that in the above posts there are no Bayliner bashers

Our family of 5 got along for 8 years with a 17 ft Glastron bowrider. Big lakes (Powell, Meade) can be tough on low profile bow riders on windy days.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

As a previous Bayliner owner, I had three. I can say they offer the best boat for the dollar. As for the size, I suggert 19 ft for new boaters. At 17 ft, the boat will bounce arround more. The stability of larger more comfortable boat, say 19 or 20ft will offer a far more comfortable expierience. I have been a boater for 20 years. If you plan on getting a slip, keep the car you have and borrow a truck or rent for haul out. Also, you will make new friends at the marina. These folks are generally knowledgable about boats and are arround when you are boating and willing to help out. As for upkeep, have a good quality cover made and much of the Wear and tear can be minimised.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I am very new to boating but decided to go with a well cared for used boat for a few reasons.

1. Immediate loss of value was a big one.
2. I knew the owners of our boat from the day they purchased.
3. We think we got a GREAT Deal really.
4. If for some unknown reason we don't like boating we wont loose as much especially since we have had a few people try to buy our new to us boat.

Now as for possible repairs Hm are you paying cash? If so you could save some on a used boat & have some funds put aside for repairs that could be done during the week. Remember new doesn't mean no repairs it just means no cost for covered repairs.

Even a new boat wont be covered for mishaps etc.

Good Luck either way

Ps we are also looking at possibly renting a wet or dry slip just for convenience

Glowplug007

Seaman

Thank you all for your thoughts and replies! I have already researched boater safety classes and gone through some online courses, they are not a requirement in my state so finding an actual class isnt so easy but I will keep trying, especially for the wifes benefit. Shes not as much into "research" as I am lol! I will take all your thought and suggestions to heart and post pics of the purchase! I plan on documenting my journey as a new captian through my posts on here and I can already tell I found the right place to do so! Thanks again!

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was in your same exact position just this past summer, 28 with a wife, both had the boat bug after a great summer and going out on friends of friend's boats. really did not know much about boating or boats in general, just knew it was something i wanted to get into.

Spent alot of time researching and on this forum, I knew from the start that I wanted to buy a newer used boat, for 2 reasons, one I had enough cash to buy a used one, but not enough for a brand new boat, secondly, i noticed boats that were in my price range were pretty damn good for what they were. After looking at a bunch of boats, i am very very happy i went with the boat I ended up getting, thing is 10 years old but looks absoultly mint, garaged its whole life and only saw fresh water 2-3 times a year. amazing how spotless the boat is. almost looked brand new with lower price tag and depreciation hit already taken.

plus it came with a few goodies like gps/fish finder, rod holders, canvas, bimini, etc.

I would not totally rule out a nice used boat without looking at a few, you may be surprised.

also as others say, take a class and get your boating license, Its amazing how much you will learn!

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oh and as others have said, go with an 18-19 foot boat, I have only used mine 4-5 times and i can already tell i will be wanting another 2-3 feet down the road, boat gets crowded quick!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've lived on the water all my life. growing up, we started with a 13' whaler, moved to a 16' starcraft bowrider when the oldest child was 14, ended up with a 17' DC. Family of 5. worked fine, although we seldom all 5 piled in for a day's outing. But my sisters and I often took 4 teenagers at a time in them.

So since you already bought the 17, no need to consider "advise" to go bigger. You will be better off learning on a smaller boat, and they are a lot easier ot manage both on the water and off.

For others, one reason I recommend used boats is that they come with all the toys; equipping a boat is expensive. Glowplug, do your shopping over the winter at used boat stores, yard sales, etc. Lots of "marine" equipment can be bought at the hardware store for half price, especially if you are in fresh water.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Your reasoning for buying new is well considered and it sounds like you have the right attitude. However, before you pull the trigger, please consider the following:

1. You don't necessarily have to buy a brand new boat to get a dealer warranty. Even buying a one year old rig will save you considerable green since the depreciation will have been someone else's problem.
2. If you buy the eighteen footer you'll quickly wish you had bought the nineteen footer. Go ahead and pony up for the extra foot. You'll be glad you did, and since you'll rarely be towing a vehicle upgrade shouldn't be an absolute necessity. (Don't tell anyone I said that. The ugliest iboats fights usually involve towing.):rolleyes:
3. If you are truly a perfectionist spend the winter preparing to face your demon head on, because your boating fun will result in many cosmetic issues as you learn the ropes and; say it with me...... That's okay.;)
4. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to iboats. Don't be a stranger.:)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the boating world!

I don't think that you need to buy a new boat to have a cozy dealer relationship, I have a Baja and my favorite dealer sells Sea Ray and Rinkers. They will bend over backwards to help me and in return I purchase as much as I can from them and recommend them to my buddies. They really take good care of me!

With that said, yes... a new boat is probably going to be the best choice for reliability. If your a new boater, the last thing you want is a boat that leaves you stranded or doesn't run when your ready to use it. If you have the funds, then buy a new one... there is nothing wrong with that.

Also keep in mind that the boat shows will be coming to a town near you very soon. Most of the show specials are boats similiar to what your looking at and you can get some very good deals at the shows. Plus, the boat shows help with the winter blues!

One huge suggestion... get a lift for you boat if you choose to leave it in a slip. Used lifts can be had for $2000-$4000 in our neck of the woods. It will be money well spent keeping your hull looking new. Also have the dealer throw in a full cover. Birds love covered slips, and your interior won't like the birds.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I've had a recurring nightmare that I purchased a Bayliner...There, that takes care of all those worrying about the lake of Bayliner bashers, lol. But seriously, there's alot to be said for purchasing a good quality used rig. New boaters seldom really know what exactly they want, it takes time on the water, seeing and talking to others and you wind up wishing for different features/size. Some great advice on this thread for new boaters though. ^^

shrew

Lieutenant

I have yet to meet the person who's first boat is EXACTLY what they want in a boat. In fact, most people own at least 1-2 boats before they really know what it is they want.

There seem to be 2 kinds of boaters in the world. Those who trade their first boat for something they really want.......and those who sell their first boat because they decided they (or a family member) didn't like boating because their first boat wasn't really the boat they wanted.

Just my unsolicited .02