Trolling Motor - random start problem

CrappieMood

Recruit
I have had an on-going issue with my bow mounted Minn Kota trolling motor (24 amp). I have it connected to two deck mounted power "foot" operated buttons. When depressed by my foot, these buttons make a clicking sound & provide constant power to the trolling motor. I have to twist the handle of the motor by "hand" to put it in forward or reverse, and to also adjust the amount of power to the prop.

My issue is that when I depress the foot buttons, the motor does not always start. If I keep either of the foot button depressed, the following "sometimes" happens:

- the motor powers up without doing anything else within a few seconds or up to 20 or 30 seconds.
- the motor will power up when I twist the hand handle of the motor to adjust the blade speed.
- the motor powers up if I switch from forward to reverse.

Again, All of these techniques will "randomly" make the motor start if I keep either of the foot power buttons depressed.

Interestingly, once the motor does start to run, I can adjust the prop speed up or down, but as long as I keep the power foot button depressed (either one of the two buttons), the motor will always continue to run until I take my foot off of the foot power button (it NEVER randomly stops running once I start it and keep the power button depressed - which is just what it should do).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very tough to manuever in dense vegetation areas to fish with "random" power to the trolling motor - especially with a little wind in the mix.....