Recirc system question

I've been troubleshooting a problem with my 1990 Johnson 200 (it won't stay running at idle when it's in the water) and figured out that my recirc hoses aren't plumbed the way that's shown in the factory service manual. The hose I'm pointing to with a red arrow is missing, and instead of of the 3-way check valve as shown there's a "normal" check valve with 2 fittings (in other words there's nothing super stupid like a T sucking in air from the atmosphere). Can anyone tell me what that line is for, and if it's non-existance is possibly causing a problem?

RecircHoseDiagram01.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recirc system question

No it wont cause this problem. This was factory way of trying to reduce fuel fouling problem to #6 and to lower bearing . Form what you posted your is like the 87-89 models. OMC went to a vented system to lower bearing in early 92 if I remember correctly and this solved a lot of idle problems. You can modify and vent yours to make it idle better and if its got the power boost cooling it needs to go and install the springs and covers off a 89 70 hp(in feild service mod)

No it wont cause this problem. This was factory way of trying to reduce fuel fouling problem to #6 and to lower bearing . Form what you posted your is like the 87-89 models. OMC went to a vented system to lower bearing in early 92 if I remember correctly and this solved a lot of idle problems. You can modify and vent yours to make it idle better and if its got the power boost cooling it needs to go and install the springs and covers off a 89 70 hp(in feild service mod)

Actually, now that you mention it when I had the heads off I noticed that the #6 piston and head were a lot darker than the others, so it sounds like my engine may be experiencing the issues you mentioned. With that going on isn't it possible it would mess up the idle?

How do I modify mine to make it like the '92s? (I've only got the 1990 manual). Will that involve replacing all the recirc valves ($$$$) ? (I found in the online parts diagrams where they changed recirc valves in (I believe) '93 so that's why I'm asking).

Yes, I've already changed the cooling per your suggestion to the 70 HP covers and springs and that seems to be working fine now (thanks for that info).

heads.jpg

Re: Recirc system question - Updated

OK Fazt, you may have put me on the right path, but I still don't have all the information I need.

I've been curled up with online parts diagrams and it looks like for the carbureted V6 loopers there were 3 configurations of recirc systems. It looks like 1991 and earlier used the configuration with the 3 port check valve shown on the diagram I posted.

The parts list for 1992 and 1993 shows a 2 port check valve with an inline T (I'm thinking that's the vented system of which you spoke). The fittings and recirc valves for this system have different part numbers than the previous style.

1994 and on use yet a different configuration, a 2 port check valve with no inline T, and still different fittings and recirc valves. It looks like whoever worked on my engine was trying to copy this configuration, but I'm doubting it would work right without the corresponding fittings and recirc valves.

SO.... can someone post the hose routing diagram for either a '92 or '93 v6 looper? And - if I change to this will I need to change to the appropriate year fittings and valves?

thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I will pull a block down and get ya a picture of the vented crankcase, you can drill it SLOWLY with a greased drill bit and catch the shaving without them entering the crankcase. Also what year carbs did you buy? The reason I ask is you should have the "large" airbox and I am thinking since you went to adjustable idle mixture type you need the "slim" airbox. Also what are your high speed jet sizes as the later model are 3 sizes bigger due to airbox design and has you box been gutted?

daselbee

Commander

I sold him the proper air box for a 1996 200 looper with the carbs. The carbs have the stock HS jets...#65Ds. The idle air bleed is #27.

OK, I've had a chance to spend a little time in the garage and figure out what's going on with the recirc system on my engine. First, as I'v already pointed out, someone used a 2-port check valve in the line to the upper bearings (I assume because that was a lot less expensive than the 3-port valve that's standard for this engine year), and in so doing eliminated a hose from the system.

What's even worse is what I found last night - instead of using 6 recirc check valves/fittings someone used 6 plain brass barbed fittings. So it looks like at a minimum I'm buying 6 check valves at almost $20 each.

Is it possible this accounts for the poor idle and cutting out when the engine's in the water, as well as the carbon buildup in cylinder 6 (maybe I'm thinking too much but I'm not seeing why #6 is so much worse than the others)?