Hydralic steering, is it all that?

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The question today is about Hydralic steering. You know the kind, non power assisted. Is it all that much better than cable steering? I have been thinking of upgrading to hydralic, but the cost has me wondering. I am repowering the boat and will this affect the cable sterring. I plan on going to 200hp Evinrude from a 120 Force. Will the cable sterring hold up? Or is this a safty issue?:eek:

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hydralic steering, is it all that?

Anything has to be better than cables!

j_martin

Admiral

Depends on what cable you're talking about. If you have a single cable, or a dual cable drum steering, that thing will handle like an aspen leaf. Dual rack cable, or hydraulic would be the minimum steering.

Strength isn't the issue, backlash is.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess I should clairify. On my 1991 Bayliner Trophy it has a teleflex cable and rack sterring. The hydralic steering I am refering to is seastar kit from teleflex

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you look in the catalogs, Teleflex single cable steering systems (which your Bayliner probably has) are good for up to 150 Horsepower.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've thought about upgrading my cable steering (SAFE T SH5023 TELEFLEX) to hydraulic but each I come to the same conclusion, why bother?

With the trim tab on the motor is positioned correctly, and the boat is trimmed out correctly, I get no feedback whatsoever from the motor thru the steering. I can walk away from the helm and the boat will maintain course w/o a problem.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Will the cable sterring hold up? Or is this a safty issue?

No ... yes. Will it work? For the most part. Might you have a handful of engine to hold on to? Most likely. Would it be worth it on a 20 yo Bayliner? :eek:

j_martin

Admiral

I repeat, minimum steering for a V6 going over 50 mph is dual rack. It's a matter of backlash, not strength. Don't even think of trying it with a single cable system unless you have a serious death wish.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The reason for this post is that my buddy has the same boat with a 200hp black max. The cable lasted 10years. He just replaced it this year. So it will hold up. But is there a big difference?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Lots of engineers with degrees set up specs for steering hardware. While I don't hold much love for them at times, SOMETIMES they do know what they are talking about.

Hydraulic is much more precise with less backlash.

Yeah, the regular cable will last BUT: Do you want to take the chance of your boat driving itself at 50 or 60? You will spend 200-300 for a good cable system and around 800-900 for hydraulic. Amortize the extra 500-600 over 10 years and you get 50-60 bucks a year--CHEAP insurance with your life, no? Prudential won't sell you a policy for that price.

SO: Your decision. Believe the engineers, Martin, and me, spend the extra money and feel safe, or constantly wonder if this will be the day your boat buys it.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lots of engineers with degrees set up specs for steering hardware. While I don't hold much love for them at times, SOMETIMES they do know what they are talking about.

Hydraulic is much more precise with less backlash.

Yeah, the regular cable will last BUT: Do you want to take the chance of your boat driving itself at 50 or 60? You will spend 200-300 for a good cable system and around 800-900 for hydraulic. Amortize the extra 500-600 over 10 years and you get 50-60 bucks a year--CHEAP insurance with your life, no? Prudential won't sell you a policy for that price.

SO: Your decision. Believe the engineers, Martin, and me, spend the extra money and feel safe, or constantly wonder if this will be the day your boat buys it.

Good answer and you go for the gugular. Seeig I am an engineer I can not even argue with this.... :D

So the next question is what is the least expensive entery level system out there for my needs. What would everyone reccomend.

I want no power, no electronics, just hydralic steering. Any name brands to stay away from? Anything about hydralic lines and stuff. I know nothing about this subject and like to be very informed shopper when spending money.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was just at the dealers getting a quote on a hydralic steering system and they did not recommend a hydraulic system. They stated costomers experiences (numerous) where the the system fail and the was a loss of control of the vessel under power. Some where there where sever injury to the driver and passangers.

Now with this said, I am leaning to the dual cable systems. What is the draw back on these? Trying to become a informed shopper.

cp4000

Seaman

Yikes! I am in need of a dual cable replacement as well and was seriously considering hydraulic steering. Matter of fact, before reading the latest post, I was set on hydraulic. I am now 70/30 towards dual cables again. My only question would be...were these installed properly? There are so many people out there that I wouldn't let fix my mailbox much less my truck or boat? Some more feedback my be reassuring but I am starting to like the redundancy of two cables. Are there redundant hydraulic units? Im sure it would double the price but for safety and peace of mind I'd consider doing it.

j_martin

Admiral

Cable is solid, and not likely to break under any circumstances. Dual cable is needed to take out backlash, which will translate into handling problems at high power and speed.

The weak point in the system is the single bolt between the steering link and the steering lever. Make sure it is the right bolt, and inspect it regularly.

Setup mistakes are usually too tight a bend in the engine end of one of the cables, and adjusting the backlash out. Neither takes rocket science to do right.

The main maintenance mistake is forcing grease into the cable from the steering tube. It jams the cable up. Only a light coat of marine grease or oil is needed on the steering rod.

cp4000

Seaman

How do you go about adjusting backlash out of a cable system? I haven't seen any type of adjustments?