No reverse gear?

spece_boat

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1990 sea ray 22 overnighter with a 5.7 350 I/O Chevy engine. Today I found that when I put it into reverse it goes forward. The forward gear is still OK, but sometimes the reverse will go forward and others it will just rev up and not go into any gear at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this type of thing going to cost a arm and a leg to correct? Thanks, <br />James

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No reverse gear?

James Welcome to the board. You have to be more specific to what make of powerplant you have to get any real help on this board. If you have a MerCruiser/Alpha package its probably a bad/corroded shift cable. Someone else could probably chime in and be more specific and also shed some light on how much this repair would cost.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep,<br />Lower Shift Cables on Mercruisers are Known to act this way, When they Go Bad.......<br />And, a 1990 is About Due.......

spece_boat

Recruit

Thanks for the advice! It doesn't sound too bad. I am glad it idoesn't sound like the lower unit, because I had a boat that needed to have that replaced and it wasn't pretty. Please forgive my ignorance, I am not too mechanically savy, but is there an easy way I can check to see if these cables are bad? What are is involved with replacing them? Does anyone know what kind of costs are associated with this type of repair if I have to have a dealer service it? The boat is currently in a wet slip on a hoist. Would it be nessesary to move the boat onto land to accomplish this? Thanks again!

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to be pretty good with mechanics to do this. I'm pretty good at my own maintenance and I wouldnt attempt it. Take it to a reputable mechanic and have them do it. If the boat is new to you have them go through the whole thing to check what else could need attention. Then buy a manual $20-$30 to completely understand how your rig works.

spece_boat

Recruit

Mercrewser, Thanks for all your advice. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay to have it done right. Looks like it will cost about $500 and two weeks to get it repaired. I was just taking on a lake test to sell it. This is the only problem I've had in three years so I can't complain too much.