Brent & the bear...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got this in an email from my buddy Gary, a former co-worker. Amazing story. A little on the terrifying side! I actually met up with Gary yesterday and it's even more dramatic when being spoken.

I'm sure you remember Brent from work: avid hunter and fisherman.

At some point in the future, I'm sure that the amazing cell-cam footage he recorded last weekend will be made public, after he has had a chance to sell it. And it's worth money, too!

He and three other guys were hunting up north of you. They got lucky, and bagged a beautiful 8-pointer, about 150 pounds or so. They began taking turns, two with guns, and two dragging the deer down the path to the truck.

Suddenly, a black bear -- I would say about 400 pounds, from what I saw on the 2 minute video -- came charging out of the woods, bit the deer by it's throat, and hurled it about 30 feet back into the brush. The bear stood it's ground, making a couple of short rushes before claiming the deer and dragging it away. Brent and the others followed, shouting and shooting in the air. The bear dropped the deer and charged again, and Brent recorded a jumble of images as he scrambled away. (Bear Witch Project ???)

The clip ends with final footage (from a distance...lol) of the bear dragging the deer out of sight.

They went back the next day, and recovered the undamaged head and enough neck-cape to make a good wall-trophy. The bear was not seen, but the head was surrounded by piles of fresh dung, so Brent and friends made a quick exit.

Awesome story, and great footage. I'll get details of where to find the published story and see the video.

Hope you guys have fun hunting, but remember: you're not always at the top of the food-chain.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Brent & the bear...

Snopes anyone?

On a side note I hear bear tastes fabulous. 3 armed hunters and they shot into the air and shouted. Not if it were my friends. I'd have a new bear rug.

Not saying I don't believe it,but I'm saying i dont believe it.

Bill

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Snopes anyone?

On a side note I hear bear tastes fabulous. 3 armed hunters and they shot into the air and shouted. Not if it were my friends. I'd have a new bear rug.

Not saying I don't believe it,but I'm saying i dont believe it.

Bill

You could be right I don't know, but on the same token I'm not sure your justified in taking the bear either. I also wonder if the hunter loses his tag or if he can prove the incident does he get another to replace it? This story has all kinds of questions I never thought about!! I'm going to research a little bit since Its Broncos sunday and well obviously researching this stuff will most likely be way more fun then watching the Broncos this year!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ok according to my buddie with DOW here in Colorado, It would be tough to justify shooting the bear in this incident because the hunters would have to prove imminent danger to the hunters, why would three hunters pack a buck carcass whole rather then split it? Mind you this is here in Colorado where packing a whole carcass is rare since its just tough to do here and things are probably done different back east.

As far as recovering a tag, it would also be hard to prove this and the hunters recovering the head could hurt their case more then help it unless there was clear evidence of the bear taking the carcass in the first place. think about it these guys may have just wanted the mount and figure this story could give them a chance at another? Either way here in Colorado its unlikely he would get another tag as the investigation would likely carry him past available hunting this year anyway.

Would love to see the video though as it would answer alot of questions.

Also this is off the record since this is an internet story and nobody here has any first hand proof of the incident.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Okay guys, lighten up.

This happened to Brent, a friend of mine and is NOT some stupid internet story. The info was given to me by Gary, another friend who WORKS WITH BRENT and has PERSONALLY SEEN THE VIDEO HIMSELF.

Thanks for calling my friends liars. I worked with both of them until 3 years ago when I retired. Brent IS an accomplished hunter and angler. Gary is one of the managers that oversees Brent. I'm looking forward to seeing the video myself. When I was at Gary's house last night, his description of what he saw on the cell camera video was quite vivid.

Also, in Florida it is ILLEGAL to shoot a bear. PERIOD. There is no season. The only exception is if directly attacked by said bear and the basic rule is that "you better have claw and teeth marks on you" if you do kill one.

Next... Florida does NOT USE TAGS for deer. So there is no need to worry about recovering a nonexistent lost tag. Another incorrect assumption.

The head and cape WERE recovered by Brent and friends.

The 8 point buck weighed an estimated 150 pounds live weight, which is quite large by Florida standards, but small by "up north" weights. That sized buck could easily be dragged by 2 men.

You guys assume way too much.

Here's a pic of Brent with a 30 lb. cobia that we caught on my birthday in May 2006.

S4020503.jpg

And here's a video of me (before losing my voice and a lot of weight) and Brent fighting that same cobia in May 2006.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Sorry BWR I didn't mean to offend you, I was just curious about how your friends situation would pan out if it happened here in Colorado, inform myself and others kinda thing since your friends found themselves in a pretty crazy situation that I hadn't heard of before! Kinda like the time I hit an Elk with my truck on my way to Elk camp, if I had killed the Elk(which I didn't) could I use my Tag on it (it was freaking HUGE), answer is no I don't have to use my Tag, yes I get to keep the animal if it was an accident and No the DOW will not pay the $7000 damage to my truck so.....

Anyhow as I said I didn't mean to offend you and I sincerely apologize if I have.

Lipp

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Okay guys, lighten up.

This happened to Brent, a friend of mine and is NOT some stupid internet story. The info was given to me by Gary, another friend who WORKS WITH BRENT and has PERSONALLY SEEN THE VIDEO HIMSELF.

Thanks for calling my friends liars. I worked with both of them until 3 years ago when I retired. Brent IS an accomplished hunter and angler. Gary is one of the managers that oversees Brent. I'm looking forward to seeing the video myself. When I was at Gary's house last night, his description of what he saw on the cell camera video was quite vivid.

Also, in Florida it is ILLEGAL to shoot a bear. PERIOD. There is no season. The only exception is if directly attacked by said bear and the basic rule is that "you better have claw and teeth marks on you" if you do kill one.

Next... Florida does NOT USE TAGS for deer. So there is no need to worry about recovering a nonexistent lost tag. Another incorrect assumption.

The head and cape WERE recovered by Brent and friends.

The 8 point buck weighed an estimated 150 pounds live weight, which is quite large by Florida standards, but small by "up north" weights. That sized buck could easily be dragged by 2 men.

You guys assume way too much.

I believe you. I'm from C. Fla, and have tangled with black bears up in Ocala.
They get real pissed when you try to run them out of a garbage can, much less away from a tasty buck. 150 lbs is a good size FLA deer, but is dog-sized for the rest of the US. :) You get in a [lot] of trouble for shooting a bear. "Stealing my deer" wouldn't get an ounce of sympathy from a game warden or a judge. A buddy got a $2500 fine and lost his hunting license for 2 years for shooting one that was in his cabin ransacking the place. He could have got a 5,000 fine and a year in jail. Glad your buddies didn't get hurt....and they got the rack!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had always read that black bears were generally know as being herbivores (fish notwithstanding).

I read the post and assumed he was going to take the deer carcass to the grizzly bear camp and trade it out for fruit & berries. :D

gonefishie

Commander

That's crazy law. If you have claw and teeth marks on you wouldn't have been able to shoot it. You don't have to have bruises on your body to claim self defense when shooting a human being.

I've heard black bears are fruit eater too.

bearsign.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That's crazy law. If you have claw and teeth marks on you wouldn't have been able to shoot it. You don't have to have bruises on your body to claim self defense when shooting a human being.

Black bears (IMHO) are not very aggressive in most situations, but they will get mad and run at you if they are disturbed or cubs are involved. You will probably not ever see a black bear "attack" a person if the person is just leaving the bear alone, even if the bear is stealing a deer or going through a cabin looking for food. Just walk away and let the bear go away, and you and the bear will be just fine.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Although I still assume they are herbivores, that doesn't mean they won't kill you if they feel threatened. Even if they don't eat you, aren't you still just as dead? I'm afraid one will kill and skin me and have me on the floor in front of his fireplace.

JRJ

Commander

bearsign.jpg

Good 1 :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Sorry BWR I didn't mean to offend you, I was just curious about how your friends situation would pan out if it happened here in Colorado, inform myself and others kinda thing since your friends found themselves in a pretty crazy situation that I hadn't heard of before! Kinda like the time I hit an Elk with my truck on my way to Elk camp, if I had killed the Elk(which I didn't) could I use my Tag on it (it was freaking HUGE), answer is no I don't have to use my Tag, yes I get to keep the animal if it was an accident and No the DOW will not pay the $7000 damage to my truck so.....

Anyhow as I said I didn't mean to offend you and I sincerely apologize if I have.

Lipp
Thank you for being grown up enough to say that. Much appreciated.

I just wanna see the danged video! :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Well, here's the update...

Brent got the story published in the Jan. 2011 issue of Woods 'n' Water magazine. I just read it. They included some pix of the bear over the deer. Dunno if he got paid for the story or not though.

aspeck

Staff member

Black bears are omnivores ... they will eat ANYTHING. Although usually not aggressive in nature, don't mess with a black bears food or a momma bear's cubs. We recently had a bow hunter that had a momma and 3 cubs come below his tree stand. He threw sticks to try and scare them ... the momma took offense and climbed the tree after him. He had scars on his legs, arms, and hands.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Ok according to my buddie with DOW here in Colorado, It would be tough to justify shooting the bear in this incident because the hunters would have to prove imminent danger to the hunters, why would three hunters pack a buck carcass whole rather then split it? Mind you this is here in Colorado where packing a whole carcass is rare since its just tough to do here and things are probably done different back east.

As far as recovering a tag, it would also be hard to prove this and the hunters recovering the head could hurt their case more then help it unless there was clear evidence of the bear taking the carcass in the first place. think about it these guys may have just wanted the mount and figure this story could give them a chance at another? Either way here in Colorado its unlikely he would get another tag as the investigation would likely carry him past available hunting this year anyway.

Would love to see the video though as it would answer alot of questions.

Also this is off the record since this is an internet story and nobody here has any first hand proof of the incident.

hey lipp i wanted to respond to your post. have to remember it is only 150 lb whitetail. we do the same here, just drag them out and put the in a truck whole. in fact you would probably get guff from a warden here if the carcass wasn't intact until official registration.

i would love to someday try that hunting you guys do though, where i could tag something large enough to justify quartering. LOL