Flywheel puller - Evinrude 5.5 HP -1963 ??

Renaud

Cadet
Hello all,
I have a evinrude fisherman 5.5HP - 5302A -1963.
Important : I have not this motor close to me (500kms....)..http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/redface.gif
So during this winter I prepare some "rebuild" http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/smile.gif.
In order to remove the flywheel, I need to do/the create a tool "flywheel puller", (- I don't find this tool in France...) so I need :
* the physical measurement between the centrer axis (engine axis) and the 3 holes in the top of the flywheel, in mm...
* the angle of these 3 holes ( I think = 120?)
* the diametre of these holes and the caracteristics of these 3 screws.
A drawing will be appreciated..
Thanks for all - (sorry for my english....)

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Flywheel puller - Evinrude 5.5 HP -1963 ??

images

This is a picture of a common puller. I don't have the spec's but, at least this will tell you what they look like.

philsboat

Cadet

To pull the flywheel have a friend pry up gently on both sides of the flywheel with screwdrivers.
Back the nut off till it is level with the end of the threads.
Place a piece of hardwood on top of the nut and whack it with a hammer.
It should pop off with no trouble.

Good luck

Phil

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

In the US, any auto parts store will have a puller like shown above, as well as Sears, etc. You should be able to find one, unless you live on Mars. Not very expensive either. ... and don't pry on the flywheel. Not a good technique.

Renaud

Cadet

Hello all,
Thanks a lot for yours answers ,
Yes I prefer to use a puller .. It is a good technic and no any damage on the flywheel..
The picture is quite good. Yes I find this kind of tool in France but it is always for a car with a large spaces between the center axis and the 3 screws...
If any have the measurements, it will be nice...... (It is good also to create ours tools..!!!)
Best to all...

kbait

Commander

1/4 x 20 grade 8 bolts w/grade 8 washers are a must. I'm not sure what the kit comes with.. I got mine 25+ years ago.

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1957 3hp Johnson. I used the tool in the picture and it worked fine. you should have no problem with that tool on your 5.5. I used this same tool on a 4.5hp martin. Use that tool and turn the center bolt until you feel about 5 lbs of resistance on a 8" crescent wrench. If the flywheel is not coming loose take a hammer and tap on the center bolt of the tool and the flywheel will probably pop loose. Good luck!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

If you have ever removed a flywheel on a Briggs lawn mower engine you will be doing the exact procedure. I simply popped my 61' 5.5 with a rubber hammer with a slight bit of pressure under it and it came right off. The correct tool is best though if you can get them.

Renaud

Cadet

Hello all
Thanks for infos..
This puller must be a flywheel puller for the motorbike and not for a car ( too large ). I will seach for a motorbike tools dealer as soon as possible.
Thanks for the people on this forum...quite nice indeed.... Best regards...

kfa4303

Banned

Renaud, you may want to check small engine shops which specialize in smaller, 2-stroke engines too. Good luck.