1975 Evenrude turns over wont start

txkngfish

Cadet
I have a 1975 Evenrude motor which I got back in August this year. It ran good when I bought boat and started quickly when owner cranked it. It sit for a month till I could use it for the first time. On first use it turned over but no start, pulled cowling off and checked everything out, nothing loose or broken. Finally after trying to start for about 25 minutes it started and ran great all day as I fished. Brought home cleaned and flushed ran then also. This was in Early September. Today decided to go fishing tomorrow with friends, charged batteries up and got boat ready. Did notice motor battery was about 11.75 volts before charging. Hooked up water and decided to let it run before Sunday. It turns over fast but wont start. Did the choke on or off. Still not firing. Ran battery down so decided to recharge it, so mean while for fun pulled plugs and they were soaked and dirty. So cleaned them up and retried and still nothing.

Any ideas on where to start and look for my possible bug.
Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1975 Evenrude turns over wont start

Have you checked for a strong spark at all plugs?

txkngfish

Cadet

Not yet, it got dark on me and was going to relook at it first thing in the morning.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What engine size and model is it?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If the plugs are wet you have gas but have you checked spark with a spark checker, doing with the plug is pretty meaningless, the spark should jump a 7/16 gap with a strong spark.

It could be your starting procedure, are you advancing the timing,lever beide throttle, you mention the choke but not the advance and I know mine is pretty sensative to where that is at.

On mine, '81 50 Evinrude, I advance the timing about 1/4 then hit the key, then TAP the choke till it it hits, adjust the timing to a high idle and tap the choke as necessary to keep it going.

txkngfish

Cadet

Knew I forgot something it was a long day. Its a 115 Evinrude. Where the key goes in underneath is a toggle switch, is that part of the choke system? The lever beside it is the one your talking about that I move up to a certain position when I crank it.

Thanks for the ideas and the top secret file. I printed the cold starting procedure and will give it a try this morning and see what happens. Could be me not knowing about this motor. My previous were old mercury's that you pulled the choke out at motor tiller type. This is my first larger boat so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks and will let all know what happens
James

txkngfish

Cadet

Found the problem. Out of all the things it turned out to be a bad fuel bulb. The new one that came with boat had check valve break and could get no fuel pressure. Even when pumped up and felt full it would not hold. Put new bulb on fuel line, primed fuel and fired right up. Runs great.

Thanks for all your help
James