metal flake application

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am interested in fiberglass boat contruction and was wondering how the flake is applied on new construction. Am I right in assuming the complete mold is sprayed with clear, then the colored flake is added to the desired areas then the background color applied, followed by glass?

The reason I am asking is there is a neat older Baja boat around the cornor from me that is white with blue/red metal flake stripes and I was wanting to know how this is done.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: metal flake application

The reason I am asking is there is a neat older Baja boat around the cornor from me that is white with blue/red metal flake stripes and I was wanting to know how this is done.

Ayuh,... You've got the right idea for flaking a Whole hull,...

Stripes are many times paint, or vinyl....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: metal flake application

I am interested in fiberglass boat contruction and was wondering how the flake is applied on new construction. Am I right in assuming the complete mold is sprayed with clear, then the colored flake is added to the desired areas then the background color applied, followed by glass?

Are you asking how to Repair ? or how the build is done from the factory..

2 different animals here..

If its build..then your correct.

If its Repair..then its just alot of learning and talent :) .

YD.