100hp Johnson Javelin

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice
Does this seem correct.

When running engine it appears my telltale is located on front side between LU and Upper. This seems like a strange place for its location as it does not appear to be running up to cool engine and once boat is in water, telltale will be below waterline.

Or am I wrong and this is how its suppose to be?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 100hp Johnson Javelin

Either pics or model # would help. Or both.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you are talking about the two holes in the middle of the backside of the midsection, they aren't telltales, they are back-pressure relief ports. Your motor is probably old enough not to have a factory installed telltale.

???

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

I went and snapped a few pictures.

1979 100hp Johnson Javelin
Model # TLR 79S

Picture with arrow is where water is exiting. I found the actual pee hole ... but nothing comes out there.

Attachments

• IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the hood off and get something like "packing wire" and start probing from the pee hole and hose all the way back to the block. If you don't find anything take the fitting out of the block and check there. Have the mtr running on muffs when doing this. If this doesn't do it look for wp probs.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The hole in your first photo is a drain hole. It will "pee" water when the engine is running and connected to a water source, but isn't intended to be an indicator of water flow. Basically, it is there only to drain your midsection.

The "button" on the back of the lower cowl, is a pee tube or telltale. If you are not getting water flow out of it, you need to trace it back to the block, and look for obstructions.

If you are not seeing any signs of overheat, you are getting water flow though the cooling system. This does not mean that you shouldn't be concerned about your water pump impeller, but at least you are getting water. If you have doubts about the impeller (as in, you can't remember or don't know when it was changed last), change it just be be sure.

Also, the six round holes in your gearcase, just above the cavitation plate, are the main exit points for cooling water in your engine. By hooking up a hose/muff, with the water at just enough pressure to feed the water pump, you can check your cooling system. When you first start the engine with the water supply on. you should see no flow through those holes for about 10 -15 seconds, until the t-stat opens. If you don't see water flow after that period, shut the engine down and start troubleshooting the cooling system.

If you do see water, chances are the problem with the pee tube is confined to it, or the nipple on the powehead. You probaly have a build up of mud, sediment, etc. block the passage.

???

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Once you have the engine running, blow some compressed air back up the telltale nozzle in the cowling. That should clear it. If that does not clear the line, follow Boobie's directions.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice
updated: 100hp Johnson Javelin

updated: 100hp Johnson Javelin

Problem solved. Hose gummed up with crud. Now off to parts store for water pump kit and a few gaskets.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: updated: 100hp Johnson Javelin

One more question. I just tore powerhead apart due to finding #3 piston scored. I was wondering about the 4 large o-rings (2 on each end of crankshaft). When crank is set back into place, these are suppose to fit snug? They want to push up and leaves alot of play in them. Maybe there just that worn out and I should spend the $10 and buy a new set.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is poor practice to re-use any gaskets and seals when rebuilding a powerhead. Your o-rings are probably mooshing up because they are softened and swollen. Even new ones will have a tendancy to do that, but not unreasonably so.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Ya .... it's best to just replace. I can get a pinky through the gap on 2 of them. Thanks

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Was curious about lower unit. I am ready to replace water pump and was checking shift rod. I noticed shifting into R and F there is no ratcheting in the prop in either gear. The prop spins freely in N. Not familiar with this LU and cannot find any info as to whether it should or shouldn't ratchet while in gear. I have service manual and does not mention anything.

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

What service manual?

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

This is the shop manual I am using

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need to ditch that service manual and get a factory manual from the original publisher, Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee. You won't find much usefull information in the one you have. When the lower unit is in F or R, the clutch dog locks the drive shaft hard against the gear face. No ratcheting.

ddiggerr

Seaman Apprentice

Thats the answer I was looking for. I recently had a Merc and would ratchet in opposite direction once locked in gear. Wasn't sure if this Johnson was the same.

I'll also look into that factory manual.

Thanks for the info emd.