rpm's

speterson1011

Seaman
My rpm gauge has not been working lately. It worked for one time a few months ago but hasn't since. The lights on it work. Oil light check light and all. Just the needle stays on 5500 and when i turn the boat on it goes to 6000 and back down to 5500. Does anyone know what this could be? Bad ground? Or maybe a bad sending unit on the motor? Thanks in advanced

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: rpm's

Have you had any problems with the battery keeping a full charge? The tach gets is signal from the electrical pulses from the stator. These stator charging signals pass through the rectifier or the rectifier/regulator before they go to charge the battery and to feed a signal to the tach.

speterson1011

Seaman

The battery has a good charge no problem's there. Al the wiring looks good, I'm not to sure what the problem could be

James R

Commander

I think you misunderstood the intent of the battery charge question. If the rectifier has a problem the battery will discharge when you are running. A bad rectifier can affect the pulses needed for the Tach.

speterson1011

Seaman

I definitely did misunderstand that. I'll check it out and do some more tests and let you know. Thanks again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

My first guess would be a bad tach. If you could find a loaner tach and just swap it out to test.