Disassembling saloon table

skipjack27

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All

See attach pic. I want to remove the table top from the lower pedestal (without wrestling with almost unmoveable screws). Loosening the gripper allows the top shaft supporting the table to slide up and down, so that table height can be adjusted. The top shaft cannot be removed from the bottom liner, though. It appears to hit some internal stop.

Does anyone know how these things work? Is there a way of removing the table + top shaft from the bottom assembly?

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Disassembling saloon table

More than likely the base is attached to the deck with T bolts and those would have to be removed....... yes the top portion of the tube may indeed have a stop and maybe only removable from out of the bottom.

You are going to need to revome the base from the deck.

skipjack27

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unfortunately: the table pedestal was wobbly when I bought the boat and so I screwed it REALLY solidly into a hardwood backing block under the deck. This is exactly what I desperately want to avoid: having to remove all those wretched screws that are currently doing such a wonderful job holding the table solidly to the deck.

All I want to do is to get the carpet out for cleaning. I'm quite unable to understand why the table top and support can't be easily removed from the bottom pedestal.

Bondo

Staff member

This is exactly what I desperately want to avoid:

Ayuh,... We All "desperately want to avoid" alotta things that HAVE to be done..

My guess Bob is absolutely Right, 'n the thing is pinned to the base...

cbavier

Lieutenant

Unless I misunderstand what your trying to do. Just pull the table straight up
and it will come out of the base plate. It just slides in.Then pull the pedestal straight away from the table top and "walla" you have two pieces. The table top and the pedestal. By the looks on your picture you can then do what you want with the carpet. If you want to remove the base plate you will have to remove the screws. Hope this helps. My pedestal is one solid piece. I wish it was adjustable like yours.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is the clamp removable from the base support somehow ? ( allen screws or turn it ? ).

Bob might be right and the upper pole has a stop that can only be removed from under the base when collapsed.

I can only think of sailboats needing something like this lock in feature..

Let us know what you discover :) .

YD.

skipjack27

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many thanks for the helpful replies to my problem - and sincere apologies for not getting back sooner. Unfortunately, I've been rather blown out of the water, so to speak, by some much more serious engine and leg problems over the last few weeks, and had entirely put aside the cabin table problem.

These replies have been seriously useful in pointing out something I should have thought of: getting underneath the pedestal by pulling the decking up. I still haven't been able to look at it yet, but I strongly suspect that whatever is blocking the table from being removed from the lower pedestal can be fixed/adjusted/removed from underneath. While it would be appalling to have to unscrew the very tight screws tying the pedestal to the deck, it is not at all difficult to lift the deck itself.

I'll let everyone know what transpires.

Thanks

Jeff