merc 888 replacement distributor or parts

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey all,

some time ago I was diagnosing a lack of power for our 888 / 302 and ended up pulling the distributor...weights were all rusted, bushings they fit on were worn away and binding the weights. Springs were shot. Moral of the story...either looking for a way to replace those parts..or someone who can sell me a replacement distributor without me spending for a whole new one. I checked a few places on line and this is so old that its tough to find anything for the Autolite. Anyone got any ideas? You guys are great with ideas..thought I could poke someones brain. Someone some time ago had one he would sell me but never got back to me.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer
Re: merc 888 replacement distributor or parts

Prestolite distributors are pretty common for that engine, and are good quality units.

thumpar

Admiral

Pertronix also makes a distributor for that that is marine approved. They also convert to an electronic ignition. Not sure on prices.

http://www.pertronix.com/

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

be sure to check the advance curve of any thing you get to replace it. you will find a graph of the required curve in both the factory and aftermarket manuals.

It makes me wonder why some centrifugal advance distribs wear out and rust up, while others like mine are 35 years old and still in pristine shape.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have checked out that website above and others like it..unfortunately the only things I can get off of it I can go to my local NAPA and get (cap, rotor, etc). I think I found only one that I can buy the advance assembly as a while for about 150.00.

yeah the thing about it rusting out makes me wonder too...however I often forget this is the original engine in the boat ('75) and it only has about 750 hours in it, so I give it that. its not burnin' oil ..not smokin white ...runs like a charm when the distributor behaves..so I count my blessings :)

haulnazz15

Captain

I saw if you're looking at spending $150 for the whole set of replacement components, go ahead and pay the extra money and get one of Pertronix billet electronic dizzys.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

oops!