Removing Flywheel

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice
1967 40 HP RDSL Johnson Super Sea Horse

My flywheel won't budge. Am I set up right? Also, where do you wedge or grip to keep the whole thing from turning?

PULL2.jpg

phoodieman

kbait

Commander
Re: Removing Flywheel

I use an electric impact wrench, but you can use a strap wrench, or a length of strap from a cheap ratchet strap to secure it. Crank it up REAL tight, and firmly hammer on the top of the puller bolt (you can put a piece of 2x4 between bolt and hammer as to not ding your puller). Looks like you have grade 8 bolts already for the puller. It should pop. If not, crank it down some more and let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow. If the bolts hold, it MUST pop eventually..
Good luck!

Will Bark

Lieutenant

I have had good luck by using a rubber mallet and hitting the flywheel on the outer edges all around this may or may not work for you. Good luck!:)

James R

Commander

I use my Ingersol Rand 1/2 inch Air impact gun.
If you leave the puller under load over night, as suggested, it sometimes works.
If not, tension the puller up and give the center bolt a sharp smack with a hammer. Don't pound it though.
It will pop loose. I have some nay-sayers on this method but I have never had a damaged shaft or bearing.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With my '61 40hp, I started on a Friday afternoon cranking it tighter every couple of hours. Then again the same routine all day Saturday... cranking a couple more turns and a few taps. Then finally on Sunday afternoon after a couple of more sets of turns it popped off. In my case, patience was the key.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If that is a home built rig,and that is just a standard Allen-head cap crew in the centre, I would get something in between it and the crank-end thread before you mess it up. :eek:

....just sayin'...

(other than that nice job building it...should work fine)

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point Tim... I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the photo. All he'd need to do is sharpen the end so it will fit into the dimple.

James R

Commander

My bad also.
The use of a bolt even one with a taper can result in damage to the crankshaft.
A correct puller bolt with a tapered rotating tip is the only way to avoid damage.Inexpensive pullers are available from Harbor Freight.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please be sure to screw back on the flywheel nut on the crankshaft leave it loose this will keep you and the flywheel from going airborne and hurt yourself. I notice in the pictures its off ....

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

I put an air impact to it. It's still not moving. Can you put some kind of lube on the shaft and let it wick in? (BTW I had read in the sticky about putting the keeper nut on. Now I'm kind of glad it hasn't come off YET).

Phoodieman

dazk14

Ensign

The flywheels always break lose with less puller bolt pressure if you provide some vibrations.

I use WillBarks rubber mallet downward smack on the outer edges of the flywheel method. An 8 year old kid is perfect for this method, because it's like playing "wack a mole".

The rubber end of an estwing framing hammer will also work. Hold the hammer under the head straight up in air, and smack downward putting the weight/momentum through the bottom end of the handle.
Hit edge of flywheel, not hitting flywheel teeth.

Although I have a 250ft/lbs torque impact gun, I wouldn't dream of using that much power.

Definitely get that nut back on there loosely, the tight ones will jump out violently.

jonesg

Admiral

I tappethe rim of my flywheel with a lead headed machinist deadblow, no danger of denting anything but the hammer, all it took was one heavy tap.
Shock works better than brute force.

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

Where would you put the force of a heavy blow on a scale between a tap and all you have. (I'm trying to figure out how hard I can hit the flywheel, because this thing ain't giving up). I know I'm putting pulling pressure because I used what use to be a penny between the puller bolt and the shaft and this is what I got.

PENNYSHIM.jpg

Will Bark

Lieutenant

When I did it, I hit with a reasonably hard rap and went all around the rim not the teeth. This wasn't no Tiger Woods 140MPH swing. There are magnets under there that might come loose but they can be epoxied back in if they do. It's the vibration that's doing it with puller putting upward pressure on it. Good luck.:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I started using an impact gun on my '69 33hp last week and it was the easiest flywheel I have ever taken off. Will use it all the time now. It made it real easy.

BTW, isn't defacing currency illegal? :)

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be sure to tighten really hard, let it sit over night under pressure, PB blaster avoid it running on anything rubber, let it sit overnight with the pressure of the puller on it..if you are lucky it will pop ....

James R

Commander

Did you try a whack on the end of the center bolt of the puller as I suggested in my earlier post.
If not, do it.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Dexta

Seaman

Did you try a whack on the end of the center bolt of the puller as I suggested in my earlier post.
If not, do it.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

I've the most luck with what James said. After seeing all the rubber responses I'm embarassed to say that I always used a metal or lead hammer, never caused me any damage.

Sharp raps and patience.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Be careful of the end of the crank...
FWIW, I use a 2" piece of maple on top of the centre bolt and a 2 # hammer.

As the best mechanic I have ever met told me ..."you don't just go beating on them...they can be too stubborn for that. You have to sneak up and surprise them".

I believe he was promoting sudden impact rather then brute force....:D;)

lindy46

Captain

I started using an impact gun on my '69 33hp last week and it was the easiest flywheel I have ever taken off. Will use it all the time now. It made it real easy.

BTW, isn't defacing currency illegal? :)

So, you're saying to use the impact wrench on the puller bolt? I've never tried that. I do use it occasionally on the flywheel nut, especially on the 40hp models which are torqued down to 105ft.lbs. They can be a bear to get loose.