Nitrogen in tires

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
One of the latest and greatest fads.
Supposedly the larger N2 molecule makes it less likely to permeate through the tire rubber.
I know it is done in aviation applications, but is it really worth the effort and $$ for a daily driver?
If I'm checking my tires once a week and that is not enough, I've got a leak....it is not the fact that I am using old fashioned air.

(and I mean using as near pure nitrogen as is practical....I know that air is ~ 80% N2 already....that's really part of the question...:))

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Nitrogen in tires

I have nitrogen in a few sets of my tires......... my friend runs the tire store and I even have a nitrogen tank on hand

BF

Lieutenant

I use helium... decreases vehicle weight and saves 3-4 mpg. But I just have to remember to add an extra sand bag for the winter.

Yes.... I tried hydrogen, but.... oh, the humanity.

I may put on over-sized helium filled tires and see if my truck then drives like the lunar rover. Can't see how it wouldn't work.

:)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

me?
I use a radium/neon gas mix.
that way when I lightem up i rule the night.
actually, another scam.
in this state ALL pressure vessels in commercial use MUST be inspected yearly.nitrogen,oxygen and even the shop air compressor and the results posted at the MSD/employee information board.
on an airplane where the temp,pressure and tire loading changes and tires are rather important I can see nitrogen and 400-500 PSI.
not on my 08 ranger.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

We ran nitrogen in our circle track race car over 15 years ago!
Running them in a passenger car SUV is ridiculous!

Maybe I would run nitrogen in a big rig if I was running heavy.

We ran them in bias ply tires to control the expansion of the tire when heated by racing. When a racing tire gets heated up, it grows, the diameter changes and ruins the stagger.
Regular air has moisture causing expansion when heated.

"smaller N2 molecule makes it less likely to permeate through the tire rubber"
That's called a leak!

sasto

Captain

Run it in an SUV...with onboard tire pressure guage...I like it! Nitrogen, not the gauge necessairly. I am a little anal about some things. This is one.

With the nitrogen...my tire pressures vary only a degree or so during different conditions. I can ride on 120 degree pavement... wet, cool sandy beach, towing, mountains, beaches, 80mph, 20mph....

For the $35 onetime fee for my $1200 tires... not have to put a couple pounds of air in a tire or 2, weekly. This is a bargan for me!

Guess it depends!

Good Luck!

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

From what I have read nitrogen is used because it is dry. A dry gas is preferable because water vapor will expand more rapidly when heated causing greater change in pressure.
My tire shop uses nitrogen but I do top up with air as required.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

If you Google "air" you'll find the air we breathe is already 80% nitrogen. Do you seriously think the extra 20% is worth paying for or is going to make any noticible difference?? Seriously??? Really???:rolleyes:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its spelled S C A M.
thats about all there is to it.
if ya really really think your gonna cruise the beach at oregon inlet,corralla or haterass with 40 PSI in your tires, come on down, most locals will tow you out, once.
then its 170 bucks for a commercial beach tow.
like I say, maybe a speacial application such as nascar, boeing, ya them tires get to see some serious operational condition changes and the friction on them at landing is kinda tough.
my 08 ranger gets the tire pressure checked every month or so and I have only added air once.
thats cause I had to slack them down for a gravel patch about 4 miles north of corralla light house.
S C A M
just like the TSA guy that while scratching my scrotum tells me it makes flying safer.

i386

Captain

I fill my new set of Michelin's with snake oil. It conditions the rubber.;)

Bigprairie1

Commander

We've been running Helium lately which is great...but very tricky when the roads are icy because of the lighter front end effect when steering as well as traction issues with the lighter back end.
BP;):cool:

waterinthefuel

Commander

Huge scam, I heard that nitrogen guy also will sell you 20 feet of flight line or a gallon of prop wash cheap.

Its used in aircraft for its low moisture content and because it doesn't feed a brake fire if one occurs on landing. It also reduces the damage to the tire from oxidation. But this is ONLY in high speed, jet aircraft. Your small run-of-the-mill treehoppers run regular ol' air. For a vehicle, it is useless and almost laughable that someone would pay for air!

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae192.cfm

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

but its green.
only takes 3 times the energy to produce 99% pure nitrogen and get it in my tire than the 4 times it takes to produce E-10 gasoline.

funny thing is, the american public loves it.
they want to be pee'd on and told its rain.

dolluper

Captain

If they offer it for free ....take it ...want you to pay.. well you have to be kidding is what I say.. regular air please

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nitrogen is an inert gas which will not cause a premature breakdown of the tire from the inside where air (which contains oxygen) can cause oxidation on the inside of the tire.

But fwiw I have never had a set of tires on a vehicle for more than three years so unless it will be on there for extended periods (like a camper that may be on there ten years or more) I wouldn't worry about it.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aviators know nitrogen eliminates water vapor which reduces heat, volume flux, and oxidation. Hence, where pressure is critical, like an aircraft tire, nitrogen is used. If I'm pulling my boat or something with a lot of weight a long distance I'd probably use nitrogen. I'd guess folks driving long haul trucks et al with heavy loads would do the same. For your everyday application I don't see paying for it, free there's no down side so why not. There where some good points on storage too, eliminating water vapor can't be bad. I think those that sell it probaly will tell you your tires won't go flat as quickly, but a leak is a leak.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Okay it is not a noble gas. Nitrogen N2 does not have a full octet(8electrons in its outer valence) but under normal conditions is very unreactive.

That's why it is used in refrigeration to purge the inside of copper pipes while brazing among other things like MIG,TIG, as well as in oil tankers to prevent explosions. since it is much easier to produce and more abundant than the noble gasses

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know it is done in aviation applications,

For moisture (ice) control ... ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

mmmmm,my 87 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd.
got it in 95 from an uncle, had 110K on the clock and a new set of michellins
quit driving it on the road in 2005 had 290K on the clock.
the set on the truck when I got it made 90K the second set would still pass inspection when I quit using it on the road.
only nitrogen they ever got was what the aircompressor sucked in.
my 06 ranger 4wd had 38K on it using the original compressed air,never added any in two years.
my 08 ranger 4wd currently has 48K on the clock and its had air once cause I had to slack the tires once on the beach north of coralla.
08 has never seen nitrogen and the tread is still over half of new.
if I keep it long enough I will get 60-65K out of them without nitrogen.
wifes o6 explorer 4wd has 27K on the new tires and so far no failures.

like I say, in my state,NC, ALL pressure vessels in a commercial area MUST be inspected yearly,records kept,inspectors paid and its NOT free.
trust me, its added on someplace.
no business man is gonna buy nitrogen,train a staff member in correct use of it and then donate it to the public.
aint gonna happen.