My Search is down to two outboards? Which one?

Andyfender

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have my search down to two outboards.

1) 2011 Evinrude 25 HP Electric Start $3450.00
2) 2010 Evinrude 30 HP Electric Start $4072.00

Is the 5 extra HP worth $ 622.00 extra?

Andy

kfa4303

Banned
Re: My Search is down to two outboards? Which one?

I don't think 5 hp is worth quite that much, even on a brand new motor. Although, it may depend on the boat you intend to put it on, and what your primary use for the boat will be. If you need some top end speed go with the 30, but if yo're gonna mostly fish and troll around maybe the 25 would be better suited. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm just jealous that you're gettin' a brand new motor :)

Andyfender

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think 5 hp is worth quite that much, even on a brand new motor. Although, it may depend on the boat you intend to put it on, and what your primary use for the boat will be. If you need some top end speed go with the 30, but if yo're gonna mostly fish and troll around maybe the 25 would be better suited. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm just jealous that you're gettin' a brand new motor :)

If I knew a place where I can find a good use one, I would consider going that route. I am very cautious about used outboards.

Andy

kfa4303

Banned

I understand you apprehension with older motors. Lord knows we've all had or known people who've stugled with them, and yet I think I still like them best. They really don't make them like they used to and the old motors look way cooler than the new motors. Just like cars. Plus, some how I don't think that a 4-stroke, 2010 motor will be around 50 years from now the way a 2-stroke, 1960 still is. Plus, I like being able to fix my motor f it does break down, which I can do with and old OMC motor, but when I look at modern 4-strokes all I see is Darth Vader and scary computer bits. Not to mention the price! Fancy new 4-strokes are nice, but they sure ain't cheap. I've seen new 5 hp Mercs for $1000!!!! That's $200 per hp. That's crazy, if you ask me. I could by 3, 5 hp OMC motors for that kind of money.
Take your time and do what's best for you, but don't be affraid to look at some older motors. You may be surprised. Keep us posted. Good luck!

jasper60103

Commander

I have my search down to two outboards.

1) 2011 Evinrude 25 HP Electric Start $3450.00
2) 2010 Evinrude 30 HP Electric Start $4072.00

Is the 5 extra HP worth $ 622.00 extra?

Andy

If I were buying new and plan to keep it for a while, I would get the one I want. Good luck with your decision.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

If those are E-Techs, it won't make a dimes worth of difference. It will depend on how you load your boat. The 25 will stay with the 30 if you're loaded up right.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 30 might get a load up a little quicker but top end probably would be only slightly faster 1 to 2 mph. I think maybe get the 25 and add trim and tilt with some of the left over money.In tests these 2 motors use allmost the same gph(gallons per hour,ranging from about 2.50 gph to about 3.13 max. Depending on the application.
The 25 on a 1100lb Sea Ark got something like 2.63 gph. 19mph.
On a 280 aluminum it got 3.03 gph at 31 mph.
The 30 got 2.62 gph on a 900 lb pontoon @17 mph got 3.13 on a 500lb bay/flats
at 30 mph. Tried to figure why the differences it may be the closer to max rpm
the higher but that didn't really hold true.??