1962 Evinrude 40hp Lark

Toby1980

Recruit
I have a 40hp evinrude, It runs great a low to half throttle, but when I try to get more it seems to hesitate/lunge for awhile and then finally gets up to speed. I feel as if it's not getting full speed, and sometimes takes a little feathering a low speed to get it in gear/grab. Would my rubber hub be shot, or is it something else?

Scott

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 Evinrude 40hp Lark

Is the motor revving up when it is "not picking up speed"? If so, I would say look at the prop as that would indicate slipping somewhere. If not, I would look at the carb. My 15 hp did the same thing when my seats on my high speed needle started going out. I put a carb kit in it and it was good as new.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Evinrude 40hp Lark

I have a 40hp evinrude, It runs great a low to half throttle, but when I try to get more it seems to hesitate/lunge for awhile and then finally gets up to speed. I feel as if it's not getting full speed, and sometimes takes a little feathering a low speed to get it in gear/grab. Would my rubber hub be shot, or is it something else?

Scott

If I am understanding the question correctly, you are having trouble getting the forward gear to "take hold". Do you have the Lark with Selectric Shift?

If that is correct, you must locate the trouble ASAP. If it is the forward clutch slipping, it will wear and destroy itself as it slips. If it hasn't already.

Some common causes:
1: Wrong oil. Must be Evinrude "Premium Blend Gearcase Lubricant" Replaces "OMC Type C". You get it at an Evinrude dealer. OR, Sierra Marine Type C is available here at iboats.

2: Water in lower unit oil. They don't like that.

3: By far, the most common problems are electrical. You must do a complete checkout of the shift circuit. The push button shift switch is a common problem. Not only that, it is hard to find a replacement and extremely expensive if you do find one.

If you don't have Selectric Shift, ignore all the above.

Yes, prop hub slippage is a possibility, on both shift systems.

EDIT: Hey, you don't have that thing jacked up high on the transom, do you? If it is a race boat, you know what I mean.