Evinrude 4hp Help

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys ive got a 4hp evinrude and it only sparks on the bottom cylinder, ive just changed the plugs and gapped correctly, i took the fly wheel of but cant see anything wrong-picture below. Any ideas?
B800hSwBGkKGrHqZhYEzeHqsTwBM4EiZQFtw_12.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00799.jpg
[/IMG]

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Evinrude 4hp Help

have you cleaned or replaced the points the pointsto .020 ?

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep cleaned all points with wet and dry paper and conductor spray stuff.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Agree clean and reset the points. They are set when at their widest open positions. They should be cleaner than clean.

You can check the coils, and condensers by swapping them over. If the fault moves from one cylinder to the other with the coil or the condenser you have found the fault.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gap the points, and see if you get a spark. If you don't then ohm out the plug wire to ground and tell us what you get. The plug wire may be corroded at the clip or the coil.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice little motor. You'll love it when you get it running right. Rather than swapping coils, I would first swap condensors first, because they're easier. Those are more apt to fail, than a pair of coils that look this good.:D

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to start swapping coils, condensers and ect why not just take the whole mag plate off and take it to a shop with the proper test equipment and have the whole works checked out at one time.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys thanks for your help, also is there a way i could test the HT lead?
And when i put the flywheel back on and screw it up i turn it and the throttle moves then it gets stuck :S

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

HT cable should be the copper wire cored type so you should be able to do a continuity test/

You need high voltage to test the insulation .. look for sparks to ground from the cables when running in the dark.

Maybe one of your coils may be touching the flywheel, Can you feel or hear it when you turn the flywheel. Any sign of rubbing on the pole pieces or the flywheel magnets? They must be close but not touch.
Lined up with the edge of the mounting pads is usually correct.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gap the points, and see if you get a spark. If you don't then ohm out the plug wire to ground and tell us what you get. The plug wire may be corroded at the clip or the coil.
The plug wire is your HT lead. One lead to plug wire and one to ground. Set meter to atleast 10K

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

How can i remove the mag plate it doesnt show it in my manual?

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Removed the plate all heads are good, ive identifed which coils which and think i tested them both ok, i put the metre ends, one on one flathead screw and the other on the other one, both showed continuaty. Any more ideas? Also just put on end of the metre in the Ht lead the other on the Engine body, at 20k on the metre, The one that sparks reads 7.27 and the one that doesnt reads 4.2 :confused:

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one reading 4.2 is the problem. Pull that coil out and and remove the spark plug wire. Then touch a lead to the barb where the wire goes and to the ground wire of the coil. If it comes up above 6000 , then you know its the plug wire. I would just freshen up everyhing thing under there while you got it apart. A full tune-up will keep it running happy longer.:)

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Swap the coils and see if the problem goes to the other plug. I think that reading is a little low, compared to the other one. Is that coil cracked, or have any freyed wires on it? You are checking from the little prong where the HT wire goes, to the ground wire, right?

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep testedfrom ht lead pin thing will swap coils and see.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Testes orher coil put one on ht pin other on earth and getting 7.64. Cant see anything up with coil tho :s

ray 6688

Seaman

It has been known where the lead fron the coil to points has been connected to the wrong set of points.
So coils are OK,points good,condencer good,but plug fires at BDC.(BOTTOM OF STROKE.)

ray 6688

Seaman

I think you may have connected the coil wire to cb points,to the wrong points.
swap them over and try motor.
This would cause plug to fire at bottom of stroke.

Why did I post this message twice? Have I GONE BANANAS....MEBIE

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

To answer your earlier question. If turning the flywheel turns the throttle then the flywheel is hitting one or both coils and you need to realign them so that they are flush to the mounting bosses below them.