cleaning carb. tips

SILENTFAITH

Recruit
My 2003 25hp 4 stroke keeps giving me fits with fuel flow. I can take the carb off but what to do after that? soak it in a bucket of ? Any help please.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: cleaning carb. tips

thats about the hardest carb Yamaha offered to clean. I soak mine in yamaha combustion chamber cleaner followed by CRC-06064 carb cleaner and compressed air.

James R

Commander

Rodbolt has a good suggestion. Gunk Carb and Parts cleaner is my choice. It comes in a gallon can with a basket for the small parts, jets,needles and such. Wont hurt plastics and will break down the brown shelac muck that clogs carbs. Follow the instructions on the can.
About $10 from autoparts stores.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

combustion chamber cleaner will get stuff that weak dip solution wont touch and still wont hurt plastic or rubber carb parts.
years ago the dip solutions were nasty enough that if it got on your skin you had about 20 seconds to get it off and cover it with oil or the skin would actually crack.
now I can use most of it as shaving lotion.
however years ago if you got it on plastic,rubber,paint, the coatings and epoxies most outboard carbs used, it simply dissolved it.
thats why most manufacturers specifically reccomend NOT to use a dip.

James R

Commander

Rodbolt.
I have not had much difficulty with the Gunk product however I am always open to better methods. Could you please be more specific about combustion chamber cleaner, brand and where obtainable.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the stuff I use is Yamaha combustion chamber cleaner.
comes in a 12 oz spray can that I empty into a container to soak stuff.
it is flammable I guess just not sure how you would light it and it does not burn skin.
works well and doesnt tear stuff up.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Also the Johnson & Evinrude ENGINE TUNER part #777185 works well for varnished carbs. It comes out foamy and "sticks" to the carb parts better than the all liquid sprays. Let the parts soak overnite for best results.

There is also a carb cleaner called Berryman's sold at auto supply stores, but it's nasty stuff and does a job on your skin also.

James R

Commander

Thanks Rodbolt for the info.
Probably a little more expensive than The Gunk product.
I never had a problem with using the Gunk product alone but I admit to buying an Ultrasonic cleaning tank as insurance. Never had a dirty carb after using the Gunk, washing off and blowing out followed by Ultrasonic, washing off and again blowing out.
I figure if any muck can survive that then it deserves to survive.
Your information is appreciated and I will give it a shot.
Thanks again.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used brake parts cleaner on my outboard carbs for the past 10 years with no problems. I haven't had problems with gaskets,floats, or hoses being damaged. I minimize exposure and follow it up quickly with compressed air and fresh fuel though. I spray it in and blow it through with the parts assembled. It works really fast and is inexpensive.