9.9 HP Johnson Powerhead Questions - Advice Needed!

jbsails

Cadet
Hello All, and Happy Thanksgiving...
I am the new to me owner of a 1998 9.9 Johnson Extra Long Shaft motor with electric start. I bought it on Ebay sight unseen for my 25' sailboat. I do not normally do that, but was desperate for an XLS and could not find one in So Cal where I reside. Long story short, it was not quite what the previous owner described, although he has really been ethical and we worked out a reasonable refund deal and I am pleased with his honesty.

Now, that said, I had my mechanic go through the motor which had had some serious overheating. After replacement of the thermostat which was cratered to bits, plugs, fluids and the valve cover gasket, he got it to 105#'s compression in both cylinders from where it was at 70 #'s. He said however, that after it is warm and he turns it off...he has had to choke it to get it to restart.

Now, I am no mechanic and this is my first Johnson outboard. The shaft is perfect for my boat, but I want a really reliable motor that I can count on. How do you guys feel about that compression and the re-start issue? I am not averse to a rebuild...but don't know if that is the way to go or to acquire a new powerhead altogether? Does anyone know the average cost of a powerhead for a 9.9?

Any advice as to what you would do if you were in my shoes would be greatly appreciated...either before or after Turkey and football today!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 9.9 HP Johnson Powerhead Questions - Advice Needed!

Did your mechanic do a tune up as well as the T-stat? The compression is Ok at 105however, I would think it should be a little higher,(maybe 120 or so) but, as long as it's close to being equal like you have, I wouldn't worry about it. Having to choke the motor to re-start is quite normal but, a carb cleaning and some new plugs would most likely take care of that. In my opinion, a re-build isn't neccessary.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

my 1st thought is link and sync carb, second is that a seafoam treatment can't hurt and over the last few months has made my engine run smoother and smoother.... (i love the envious looks at the dock when i just tap the start button and she purrs) suggest you become aquainted with the machinists website, incredible info on your engine.
here is the link
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson 9.9_15.htm
I have the 15hp version of your engine (now a short shaft) all I can say is i love it.

if you have the lean rich idle mixture screw i suggest getting engine to full temp setting the adjustment so that it idles the way you like.... then pulling the knob off and setting it to the lean position or a click away from it, then when you want to start your motor and warm it up you can turn it to the rich side and it will idle like a dream til it warms up and you have to lean it. should eliminate alot of choking once she has been run for the day.

Sean

Last edited:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ONERC -- these later year a motors (after 93) does not have the front idle adjustment, but one off the RH side of the carb & the thread pitch is twice as fine as the earlier motors.

I have a 93 which is the 1st if the new series & they don't idle down nearly as well as the older ones. Fine for regular boating but for a fishermen trolling ??? And it seems to be a little harder to start.

I think if he adjusts this idle screw a little richer, checks or replaces the plugs & if that does not do it then look at rebuilding the carb, it will run fine for his purposes. Another thing to look at is to increase the throttle start speed position. They will start in a faster position, but can get stubborn if to slow.

jbsails

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback guys. Great information....
I got the motor home and am finishing up my paint job on the shaft. Sanded and Primed with Zinc paint and got one coat of Johnson White on it. Goes on my Sailboat tomorrow.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your head may need replacing, as mine did. What happens is if the thermostat gets badly corroded, then the sealing area where the thermostat seal goes gets corroded out and the thermostst does not seal, so the engine over cools and due to that it needs a choke even after running. You could try gooping up the thermostats seal with a good sealant like Yamabond, or Threebond 1104, and see if it seals. Use the heat crayons on the engine block to determine if it's really getting up to temperature, ...I suspect it is not getting fully warm.