SeaRay 185 from 2004 - Reasonable price ?

nolten2

Recruit
Hi All,

I am considering to purchase a SeaRay 185 from 2004. It is powered by a 4,3 MPI mercruiser.

The dealers description of the boat;

------------------------------------------------
Beautiful condition hard to find V6 18' Sea Ray.
Highlights include wide transom platform, huge in floor ski locker,
anchor locker, aft sunpad, CD stereo, and great engine access. This
boat is loaded and comes with a bimini top.

She also comes complete with a roller single axle trailer.

Turn-Key Starting (TKS) system has been added, with low hours on its V6 Mercruiser.
-------------------------------------------------

I have uploaded a few pictures provided by the dealer: http://picasaweb.google.com/nolten2/Searay185#

He asks for 9.995? - Does that sound like a fair price for a boat like this ?

Bare with me, I am a newbie on the boatmarket ;)

When inspecting the boat, is there anything in particular I need to look out for ?

I hope you are able to give me some good advice I can use when inspecting (and deciding) on the boat.

Regards

Nolten2

nlain

Commander
Re: SeaRay 185 from 2004 - Reasonable price ?

If in the US I would say price is high, your 9.995 GBP converts to 15.8171 US,
when I look up 2004 185 I find the pricing more in the 10,000 US range. My boat is a 2004 with the 190 hp engine, new it was list price at just over 23,000, I paid a little less. Check what they were new and look up used pricing and see what you find and compare, they may sell higher there than here. Also if the engine is MPI.(the photo says it is) they did not add TKS to it, MPI is turn key starting. TKS is added to a carburated engine.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with nlain, a little high. 23K depreciated straight line for 15 years is about $1,533 per year. So a boat that is 7 years old should have a value of $12,200. This also assumes nothing else is wrong with the boat. Make sure the dealer does a full survey on the boat and warrants (to some degree) that everything is in good working order including engine, drive, hull and electronics. Winters beginning so you should have the upper hand in negotiations especially if dealer wants to sell. Good luck!

Lucky Dogs 2

Cadet

That is the same boat as my little one. Except mine is a 2008. Same motor.
Ours has a few changes than yours from photos, but not a lot.

Try and get whatever you can out of the dealer "after" you decide a price you both agree on.

Here is what I would tell them to fix included in the price you agree on . . .

Fix coiled wires on front right side of trailer, unless this is the bog-tail to connect to truck for lights.

Safety strap by winch on trailer. Have replaced with short chain.
If this is the winch strap, have it fixed so it does not hang down.

Have them clean it up really good, swim platform, etc.

Get them change the oil, air filter, and water seperator.

Have them winterize it and store it free till spring.
One less thing you need to worry about over winter.

Right rear inside motor area. I think power stearing unit, not sure.
Make sure all is tight, and solid. Have them change the fluid there also.
Looks like water / oil sat there for a while. Look for ice damadge.

Now for the little whole on the side. I could not tell how big it is from the photo. I would try and see if you could get an apprasal from another dealer to have it fixed. This way you will know if it is bad or not. "After" you get the extimate for repairing it, see if they will fix it, and include it in agreed on purchase price. Play the price game with them and see if you are happy with that outcome. It is above the water line and you could fix it yourself or a friend maybe. Don't let it keep you from buying the boat, but I would use it as a bargining point to lower the price as low as possible. You have to act like your really worried about the whole and it is keeping you from buying the boat. This is hard times. Let the dealer work for your sale on the boat.

Goto, or e-mail as many boat dealers as you can in your area. Tell them what you are looking for. Don't tell them a very narrow price range if they ask. Leave them your phone number. Let them do the work and look for one for you. Be prepaired to make a few trips to a couple of dealers after they call you with a possible boat for you to look at. Don't get pressured into a purchase. There are many more boats just like what you want out there, you just have not found them yet. Things are slow in the winter for these dealers, don't rush into it. Don't get locked into a deal withhout a in water trial in the spring. After that test run, you should still have the option to back out if you don't like that boat.

As long as you agree with the outcome, price and all, you will really like that boat. We cruise around 25 MPH for around 5 or 6 hours and only use about a half tank of gas. Never skied from it, but it should handle that really nocely.

I hope this helped you some. Let me know how it goes.

Lucky Dogs 2 -

Last edited by a moderator:

jkust

Rear Admiral

I can't really opine on the price since it seems you are somewhere in England. Way outside my realm though I work with several English folks and deal with Lloyds and London companies as well. My honest opinion is the boat looks beat to heck for a 2004. Even the stearing wheel looks sunbaked. Again more honesty, the color makes it dated but the MPI engine makes up for some of that. I've actually never seen a Sea Ray 185 with an MPI engine and I've seen hundreds since they are very common here in Minnesota. Here I could find 100 for sale in pristine shape, where you are I have no idea. Unless the selection is dismal, that would not be a contendor for me at any price.

nlain

Commander

The MPI was an option in 2004, I did not find that out until I had already bought mine. Saw the boat in the boat show, liked it, bought it, did not do my research first, I would have held out for MPI. Don't misunderstand, I like what I have, it is a great boat, does what I want it to.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont know what season it is over there.

and i also dont know the market across the pond.

however for 15 grand its a little high and i live in a market where the prices are high.

nolten2

Recruit

Hi All,

Thank you for your great advice, really appriciate that you want to spend your time on this.

A bit further detail;

- I am Danish and live in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- The boat is UK based, so transportation of boat to Denmark comes on top of price. This will be sorted by myself and can not be included in negatiation with broker.
- The boat is bought at a broker
- I called the broker yesterday to ask about the TKS... - He confirmed it was a mistake. It IS an MPI engine.
- The trailer have just been servied in early november, new bearings.
- The engine have been servied on a regular basis by mercury dealer, last service was in April.
- The gelcoat and hull damage will be repaired, included in the price - if purchased.
- Total engine hours are below 80

I am flying over to inspect the boat and do a sea trial next week, possibly buying if everything checks out ok.

Thank you very much for the advice on things to look at when inspecting the boat, really appricate it. With the things mentioned above, anything in particlaur I should really be thourough on - except everything ? ;)

Is the 9.995? still an ok price or should I negotiate ?

Best regards,

Nolten2

jkust

Rear Admiral

Nolten2, I don't know that anyone stateside can really give you a fair answer on pricing. I can speak only from from my perspective and that is to say, yes you should negotiate and hard. I certainly wouldn't purchase a damaged boat prior to the work being completed. I can think of multiple scenarios where that may not work how you would expect. Assuming it is a saltwater boat or frankly even if it isn not, you should have someone onhand with your interests in mind to inspect the boat. Like I said earlier, if the situation in Denmark is that pristine boats are difficult to come by and that Sea Ray is one of your few options, at least get it inspected. I am imagining expensive repairs and few facilities to complete them. My 2003 Mercruiser and boat are in absoltuly show room new condition with about 110 hours. If I sold it to you this year you would have had to complete some expensive repairs that were nearly undetectable. These were premature issues with the outdrive that you would never expect by looking at the boat. Even a well maintained boat can have expensive repairs so you need to really protect your interests.