Getting Paint Off My Floor

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Two years ago, I tore the rug off the floor of my boat. It turned into a huge project that took the whole season, the boat never even made it into the water. But eventually, I got all the rug and basically all the glue gone, and I put down a few coats of that west marine grippy paint. I'm pretty sure it's just sand poured into regular paint. But fast forward to now, I need to sand all the paint off the floor so I can add a layer of fiberglass to install new seating. What's the best way to get rid of this paint? I suspect that if I try to use a palm sander with regular sand paper, the floor will sand the paper as much as the paper sands the floor. Is there something better to use, or should I just buy a whole box of sandpaper?

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Getting Paint Off My Floor

As they say--Big fish eat smaller fish.-I'd start with a heavier grit and work down or up as the case may be.Have you tried a flap disk?That might do the trick.Either way,if your going to reglass,you got to get to "new meat"(glass that is) so sanding sounds like the likely way.

drewpster

Commander

Go get a good quality orbital sander, a shop vac, some extra hose, an adapter to connect the sander to the vac. You need some 150 grit paper. Get sanding. BTW you also should get some masks, preferably a respirator.
You can do it with a regular palm sander, but its going to take a long time. You wont regret getting a better tool to do the job.

The best option is a DA sander. But you need a good compressor for that.

Vibratory palm sanders are good for fine finishes on wood. You need something more aggressive for marine paints. Or, a whole lotta time.:p

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Why do you need to reglass the deck to install new seats anyways,..??

I'd think a Belt Sander would be a better choice...

Ayuh,... Why do you need to reglass the deck to install new seats anyways,..??

I'd think a Belt Sander would be a better choice...

My guess is the floor was bare wood (with carpet over it) to begin with. Now he wants to seal it.

Definitely a belt sander will do more quicker.

l008com

I want to re-glass the floor because it's not strong enough to support pedestal seats. It's not bare wood, its a thin layer of glass over wood. It's a little flexy in spots. And when I've drilled through to attach things to the floor, the wood is always very moist. So re-glassing the floor will reinforce it plus give me solid seat mounting.

You mention an air tool, that reminds me my uncle used to be a mechanic, and has a compressor at his house and a bunch of tools. He might have the perfect thing.

Bondo

Staff member

Definitely a belt sander will do more quicker.

Ayuh,... I'm thinkin' a 7"/9" angle sander sportin' 36gr paper would probably be the Quickest,....
But,...
A Beltsander with aggressive paper would leave a smoother finish...

An air D/A with coarse paper might do Ok, but they use Alotta air,... Takes a Big compressor...

l008com

The finish doesn't really matter does it? I mean, It's all getting covered up anyway?

Here's another question, how does fiberglass cure? I thought you were supposed to bake it, but clearly I can't bake my boat. Does it harden over time? How long would it take?

l008com

Also I don't know how big my uncles air tank is, i knwo its big enough that it has wheels. And I could always just work slow and take breaks :D

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

If the wood is moist you really should replace the deck, when you tear it out you'll probably discover the stringers (if they are wood) also needs to be replaced. Fiberglass won't help a rotting deck. I just spent 8-9 hours removing a layer of 3/4" ply with fairing made of self leveling concrete someone had laid over the rotted deck on my boat. The stringers are also rotted. I'd have all the stringers out & the hull grinded in the time it took to remove the halfassed repair the PO did.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it's not strong enough to support pedestal seats.

. It's a little flexy in spots.

, the wood is always very moist. So re-glassing the floor will reinforce it plus give me solid seat mounting.

woah.......slo down there big daddy.

1. pedistal seats need a thicker wood under the base.....at least one inch 5 ins around the perimiter of the base.

(this is uasually UNDER the deck where you cant see it. however people have made a beveled support on top of the deck)

2....flexy means trouble....:eek:

3. read 2

and a grinder is your best bet because, in order to laminate the new glass you have to cut thru not only the anti skid paint but the resin in the fiberglass.

that is either a 24 or 36 grit with a rubber backing pad (sometimes called a flapper.)

also please read the post called ......replacing a rotten deck.

cheers
oops

Bondo

Staff member

The finish doesn't really matter does it? I mean, It's all getting covered up anyway?

Well,... Yes, 'n No....

The less deviations, the Better the final finish...
You need the roughness of coarsely sanded material for a mechanical bond to the base material,...
But,...
If there are humps, 'n divots, they could possibly show through several layers of resin, 'n glass...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I want to re-glass the floor because it's not strong enough to support pedestal seats. It's not bare wood, its a thin layer of glass over wood. It's a little flexy in spots. And when I've drilled through to attach things to the floor, the wood is always very moist. So re-glassing the floor will reinforce it plus give me solid seat mounting.

You mention an air tool, that reminds me my uncle used to be a mechanic, and has a compressor at his house and a bunch of tools. He might have the perfect thing.

They have electric dustless D/A's out there :) ( I think that was the point of using a random orbit or dual action sander with a vac came in ). I dont see any mention of air tools being suggested myself..but I wouldnt use any air tools unless you want to blow around your sanding dust ;) .

As allready stated above..adding glass will only add more support to the glass allready on there..not the floor as a whole. You have flexy soft..wet deck ? .. inspect more before you start your sanding/glassing and make sure of yourself that this is the next step you really want to take right now.

Putting Icing on a mudball cupcake will not make it a cake..just a sweet tasting mudball ;) .

YD.

drewpster

Commander

If the deck is flexing, and the core under the fiberglass is wet, then you have bigger problems than you may have first anticipated. It is likely that the deck needs to be replaced. It is also possible you have some support structure under the deck that is toast as well. First, don't freak out, it can be fixed. And we can help. However it is very involved, and it can require that you take the boat apart. Do you want to tackle that?

Again, dont let it intimidate you. If I can do it, you can. I just like to be honest about the commitment. Once you start, it can be time consuming and costly. However, when you are done, you end up with a better than new boat. (THATS PAID FOR:))

BTW- YD I have looked for electric DA's. Where can I find one? Same as orbitals?

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i agree with yd, since as you mentioned your deck is flexing and wet which spells out replacment ,or to say the least further inspection of stringers and possibly transom. good luck and lets be safe as we play

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

BTW- YD I have looked for electric DA's. Where can I find one? Same as orbitals?

Porter cable electric 6 inch da...or you can get the Fein one ( pricey though ). there are others but not enough power for me...

YD.