Removing painted on hull ID #'s

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there I posted this on another forum and got a mixed reaction. I just bought a boat from Arizona and I'm in Colorado, well the old owner had the Arizona hull ID #'s painted on over the gel coat. Do any of you know what I can use to remove the paint without hurting the gel coat???
IMAG0205.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removing painted on hull ID #'s

Heat it with a hair dryer and the stickers will peel right off. Clean any glue residue with acetone. Cover the stripe just above the numbers so it doesn't get hot and peel too. Also protect it from acetone as well.

D

DJ

3M-08984.

This stuff removes everything and leaves no marks/residue, etc..

It's available at any auto body supply house. Wonderful stuff.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This sounds awful but it works well.
Spray the painted numbers with oven cleaner and wipe off right away. Rinse it well with water when you are done.
I learned that from a sign painter who used to do cars and boats. Check some on a cloth first to see if it affects the gel coat.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heat it with a hair dryer and the stickers will peel right off. Clean any glue residue with acetone. Cover the stripe just above the numbers so it doesn't get hot and peel too. Also protect it from acetone as well.
well the problem is they are painted on, and the boat has no decals the stripes and graphics are under the gel coat.
3M-08984.

This stuff removes everything and leaves no marks/residue, etc..

It's available at any auto body supply house. Wonderful stuff.

for paint or where you thinking stickers too????

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This sounds awful but it works well.
Spray the painted numbers with oven cleaner and wipe off right away. Rinse it well with water when you are done.
I learned that from a sign painter who used to do cars and boats. Check some on a cloth first to see if it affects the gel coat.

yea thats what another guy said on the other forum but then the next guy said that oven cleaner turned his gel coat yellow???? Id hate to jack up the new boat

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Acetone and oven cleaner (I've never used oven cleaner) will ruin your gel coat.

Acetone will dissolve almost anything.

Pick it off with your finger nails or be careful and use a razor blade.

Odds are, the OP didn't prep the gel coat and just painted it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

well the problem is they are painted on, and the boat has no decals the stripes and graphics are under the gel coat.

Well, that makes it all that much more simple then. You don't need the hair dryer now, and the stripe won't need to be protected.

Acetone on a rag and 90 seconds and the job will be done!

Fiberglass boats are made of polyester resin and that is impervious to acetone. Go to a marine store - they sell it as hull cleaner.

I can't tell you how many times I've removed painted boat names from transoms. If you're scared, try it on the bottom in an inconspicuous place first.

Whate ever you do, don't use oven cleaner.

Bondo

Staff member

Fiberglass boats are made of polyester resin and that is impervious to acetone.

Ayuh,... I agree,... The only Stain, will be the lack of wax left...

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Acetone and oven cleaner (I've never used oven cleaner) will ruin your gel coat.

Acetone will dissolve almost anything.

Pick it off with your finger nails or be careful and use a razor blade.

Odds are, the OP didn't prep the gel coat and just painted it.

Well, that makes it all that much more simple then. You don't need the hair dryer now, and the stripe won't need to be protected.

Fiberglass boats are made of polyester resin and that is impervious to acetone. Go to a marine store - they sell it as hull cleaner.

I can't tell you how many times I've removed painted boat names from transoms. If you're scared, try it on the bottom in an inconspicuous place first.

Whate ever you do, don't use oven cleaner.

Ayuh,... I agree,... The only Stain, will be the lack of wax left...

thanks guys.... you know how these forums are, ya have to get three or four peeps to give ya the same answer befor ya start hackin away on the boat lol :eek:

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Check Az. registration laws. Some states (Ohio) require that the original numbers stay on the boat for it's life. You can remove them to change material, font, size, etc. but you have to put them back b/4 hitting the water.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys.... you know how these forums are, ya have to get three or four peeps to give ya the same answer befor ya start hackin away on the boat lol :eek:

Be cautious with that acetone!
Acetone is what is used to clean fiber-glassing tools and gel coat spray equipment!

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check Az. registration laws. Some states (Ohio) require that the original numbers stay on the boat for it's life. You can remove them to change material, font, size, etc. but you have to put them back b/4 hitting the water.
well like I said Im in Colorado so Arizona can stuff it :D
Be cautious with that acetone!
Acetone is what is used to clean fiber-glassing tools and gel coat spray equipment!

Oh great :confused:

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am confused, the Hull ID is never painted on by the manufacture. (Illegal to do so sinse 1972.)

its a state registration # :confused: look at the pic?? you got me wondering if I should take any advice form the internet LOL

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Some states require a certain number of digits, and supply a new number, but it supposed to stamped onto a fixed plate.

thesledhead I would be sure to put them back on!

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some states require a certain number of digits, and supply a new number, but it supposed to stamped onto a fixed plate.

thesledhead I would be sure to put them back on!

well I'm not messing with the boats manufacture # just the reg. # in the pics :eek:

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We know that NOW
"Arizona hull ID #'s"

I think most caught on with the first post and the pic of the boat........ but :confused: I'm glad we got that cleared up for ya ;) so??? do ya have any useful input on this subject???