wire harness????

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 50hp johnson and it was bare what kind of wire harness do I need and where do I get it. Does it matter what controls I have for the harness i get?

Thanks

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice
Re: wire harness????

By "bare" I'm guessing you mean no controls. You need a wiring harness for a 1996 or newer. Yes there is a difference. It will have 3 black Deutsch plugs where the older ones just had one big 10 pin plug. As for controls you need the new style also. It has two plugs, one for the key switch and one for the trim switch if so equiped. You can use the old style controls if you want to use dash mounted switchs.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I have no controls. I have no idea what to get to make it work is there a part number for what I need? I want to do it as cheap as possible. I found a control box on here for 215 I just need a harness to match correct? I wish I could find used bc its going in an old fishing boat so it doesnt need to be all hitech

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice

Have you checked ebay? look for controls with wiring 1996 or newer. There are tons of good stuff on there, some junk too. there's the one you need with a 14ft shift and throttle cables, no wiring harness. For $125.00 Also found the wiring harness 12ft part number 176339 for 129.99. If you look this up you will see what you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a0ac049f9
Hope this helps a little.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much I will look that up now
and
thats what I was thinking

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

Thats funny I never saw that listing the guy selling the controls live 10 miles from me hopefully its for the right year I emailed him. will any harness mate up to that control box

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

I did and I found a website that sells the same one for 99.99.

I want to thank you very much. I emailed the guy to see if his control box is for the right year. It makesa difference correct

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

ok I think I finally this haha thanks for all the help.

It should move my 1648 jon boat real nice

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

This is what the guy told me with the control you showed me is he right?

the year was from a 1994. However, the control uses cables that have been in production since at least 1976. So as far as control cables it will work back that far. Electronically (the key switch) is of the newer style (mind you it does not come with the wiring harness, only drops that connect to it) which means it uses deutch connectors not the big round red connector that OMC used. But, there are harnesses availible for this control box that convert to either or. So weather you have a 1976 70 hp or a 2010 115hp E-Tec, you can use this box. Its all a matter of what harness you use / need.

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice

Yes that sounds correct, kinda the cables go back to 79 but close enough. Sounds like your good to go.

chiroguyf250

Seaman Apprentice

So controls dont matter
but
the wiring harness has to be a 1996 or newer.

Im really not trying to be dense i just dont have a lot of money and want to do it right the first time without any hiccups. so I apologize for being so dense