Black Friday Shoppers?? Whose going??

Curious if any Iboaters are Black Friday Shoppers, and... what do you have your eye on this year.

I'm lookin for a couple of new GPS's for the work trucks, since the existing ones are oboslete and need updating, and Garmin wants like $75.00 each for the update. Terrible driving thru Boston's Big Dig with a 5-year old map. :D

Lookin for something with lifetime map updates. Anyone have a good one they can recommend?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Black Friday Shoppers?? Whose going??

The wife and I are going almost 100% cyber this year for our shopping....... makes for easy parking ;)

I have found the Garmin GPS to be the best for me however...... I ignore the pricey updates since there is little that changes where I drive. Good luck with that quest.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I absolutely refuse to be out there this year..Diane may think otherwise, but there isn't anything I really want worth getting up that early for after a proper turkey induced coma!

Now iboats is having an online Black Friday deal.....riiiiiight?;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Black Friday? Not! Never have, never will go out then. I do need a spare clip for my gun. Need to talk to Santa...:)

angus63

Captain

Angus don't shop
Angus don't leave the safety of the basement on black Friday

Its like a minivan demolition derby out there!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Gonna be in the big city, returning home on Friday.
Will most likely stop at a high end grocery to buy spices. Possibly get some bread pudding and stuffed mushrooms from the deli. Other than that, drive 250 miles and grab a sandwich.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wasnt going to but Bass Pro is haveing a good sale on a fish finder and I need a new one so i just may venture out we shall see

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never have ,never will if I do anything it will be online

Fly Rod

Commander

Not I. I would not put up with them large crowds and parking. If i have to shop which is seldom, it would be mid morning on a work day when most people are working.

nlain

Commander

My wife and I did one of those things many years ago, never ever agin!!!!!!!!! Just about had to fight people to get out with what we had picked up, they would try and take it out of your hand, we were young and strong then and just jerked back and went on. Today I'd probably give it to em up side da head. :D Not really but I will not go back. Internet got the same stuff and no fights, easy parking as stated above. Shipping versus gasoline burned, bout the same.

scipper77

Commander

I'm sorry to be sexest but I couldn't last one minute amongst a crowd of shopping crazed women. Competitive shopping!! They would eat me alive and might trample me too.

Seriously though, I just don't like to shop. I go to the mall 1 to 2 times a year. If I needed a big ticket item like a laptop or a 46" tv I'd probably go to get the deal but I can't stand the crowd.

Brewman61

Ensign

I'd rather strap a couple prime ribs to my calves and trot around in a cage of starving Rotweilers, Pit Bulls, and Dobermans than to go shopping on that day.
Nothing is more dangerous than a bargain seeking mob. Remember the Kabbage Patch Kidz fiasco? The Sicken Me Elmo stampedes?
No thanks. No kinda stuff is worth that kinda torture.
Even worse is the stores that are forcing their employees to work on Thursday. Shame on you Wal-mart, K-mart and any other non essential business that is open Thanksgiving day. Yeah, travelers need to buy gas, and hospitals and nursing homes need to always be staffed, but stores?

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wife gets the same answer to that question every year...Not no, but HE!! NO!

Moot point this year, since I must work the entire weekend anyway, including Thursday :mad:

<<)))(((>>

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Curious if any Iboaters are Black Friday Shoppers, and... what do you have your eye on this year.

I'm lookin for a couple of new GPS's for the work trucks, since the existing ones are oboslete and need updating, and Garmin wants like $75.00 each for the update. Terrible driving thru Boston's Big Dig with a 5-year old map. :D

Lookin for something with lifetime map updates. Anyone have a good one they can recommend?
Garmin has a few with lifetime updates, and so does Tom-Tom.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

On Black Friday, I crawl under my rock and batten down the hatches. You won't catch me anywhere near a retail outlet.

We have done about 90% of our shopping online for probably the last 10 years. Makes for a so much easier and stress free experience, for us anyway. I know some who relish the mad rush, more power to 'em!

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't go black friday shopping didn't even know about it (i was always hunting) until my girlfriend went 6 yrs ago. I saw the deals she got and then the extra money she spent on "just because it was on sale" deals. So the next year I looked for my own deals and went with her to curb her spending and help mine. I have gone every year since. This year I had a ladderstand stolen that I just bought in the summer now it's on sale on blackfriday for half the price. This year it all starts on turkey day at toys'r'us at 10:00pm and stores open up at all times through the night around here I think the last one opens at 6:00am

D

DJ

I did it ONCE. That was for a Craftsman tool box for my son. Great deal.

But......I'll NEVER do it again. The people in that store were NUTS.

The "frenzy" was frightening. They kept away from me because the .45 at my hip was a bit intimidating, I guess. :confused::D

Like I said. NEVER again.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Most of my Black Fridays are spent sleeping or working.
But since you guys say it's literally such an angry mob scene, I may show up just to watch :). Nothing like watching a train wreck unfold in front of your eyes:D

I will say I got a decent deal on an on-line Black Friday event last year.
I Bought a Lenovo 15.6" G550 laptop (the one I'm typing this on right now) W/ Pentium Dual Core T4300 processor, 3 Gigs DDR3 Memory, and WIN7 home, delivered to my door for $399.99 (this model was going for $500+ last year) from NewEgg.com

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nowa days, the whole crowd will stand outside for hours waiting for that deal...
Did it once at Best buy for a laptop @ 199.00 Waited like 4 hours. When I got inside none were left. Asked the clerk, she told me the store only got 5 of those. Crappy advertising I say.

I'll wake up early, Make some breakfast, Find the deals online, then keep pressing F5 till the super low deal activates. Then buy...
I can wait a week to get my item for darn near the same price.

Some of the bigger outlets have been running black Friday deals week long for online only.