just got me a qd15 a few questions

white95v6

Cadet
ok i have tried useing the search buttom. but i guess its smarter then me lol.

1. is the water pump the same as my cd-12 and does it get replaced the same way. ya know pull the power head off.

2. the little gears that the throtle lever spins are broken. anyone know where i can get those if possible new? or used. i would hate to take them off my cd-12.

got this little baby for $60 all it needs is a good tune up. condensors,wires,coils. it didn't run at first. but we robbed a few parts off the old cd-12 and she fired right up.:)

kfa4303

Banned
Re: just got me a qd15 a few questions

Congrats on the new/old toy. Just got my '61 QD-22 up and running again today thanks to the forum!

1.) I did NOT have to remove the power head to change the water pump. I just dropped the lower end and went from there.

2.) I'm looking for the same tiller throttle gear for my '66 33 hp. The only place I've found for replacement parts is eBay, but I bet a boat salvage yard would be cheaper and easier.

Here are a couple helpful links. Keep us posted.

QD-22 link: http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/johnson_QD.htm

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5add1051c2

white95v6

Cadet

thanks alot the first link was awsome. sure did help alot. and the 2nd link gave me an idea on what to pay for those little gears. i got a small outboard man around the corner from work i will stop in next week and pick on up if he has one.

also what about new plug wires. the ones on the 10hp where bad. i had to use the ones off the 5.5. and they are not made the same. one has wires inside like wireing for a house/car if you know what i mean. and the ones off the 10hp was sealed on the end with alittle hole from the coil in it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Do you have a pic of what gears are busted? Not sure which ones you're speaking of.

As for the waterpump - there's a small plate halfway down the leg with two screws in it. Behind that plate is a shift rod coupling. You do NOT need to pull the powerhead - just remove the bottom bolt from the coupling.

You want to make sure you use metallic core spark plug wire - sounds like your 10 had the wrong wires. You can get the proper wire at small engine shops, or NAPA if you ask for the right stuff - 7mm, metallic core.

white95v6

Cadet

man i sure wish the search buttom was as good as you guys are. haha.

thats cool that i don't have to remove the power head likei did on the cd-12. makes it alittle easier. not that pulling the power head was hard. just time consuming for a first timeer on a outboard.

i don't have a pic of the gear. but the ebay link that kfa4303 posted is the part i am looking for. mine is broken. and when you try to give it throttle the handle just spins and you get no throttle action.

thanks for the tips on the wires. i gotta get those to complete the tune up.

can't wait to get the 10hp running good. the old 5.5 pushed us to about 7-8mph max. i can't wait to see what this 4.5 more hp get us in the mph department.

kbait

Commander

I've had great luck on older J/E parts w/Tim's outboard. They ship quick, and nice prices. 218-682-2331.

kfa4303

Banned

hello again white95 and kbait. I think I jinxed myself. After getting my QD-22 running last night I went out today to fine tune the carbs (famous last words). I got her up and running a few times, but couldn't get it to idle at a nice low rpm, only at rpm at the "START" position on throttle, but if I tried to lower the throttle to the "SHIFT" position the motor dies. Now after trying a million different needle settings I can't get her to start again :/ It seems like the needles have different "fully seated" positions depending on where the sleve they run through it tightened. (Does that make sense?) I've got great compression, good spark, and fuel. What am I missing. Thanks for any help. That'll teach me to toot my own horn....lol.