Honda 8HP carb issue (I think)

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Motor is BF8A, approx 1993 or 1994 year.

I had it tuned when boat was launched in July. Carb had been gunked up as it sat unused for a few yrs by prior owner. Ran OK at first, then I started having hard starting. Later in summer, started stalling when put in gear. I've used StaBil in all fillings of the tank. I'd let it warm up for a good 10 mins, but unless I adjusted the throttle stop screw to a higher than desired RPM it'd usually stall when put in gear. I could only get it to not stall, sometimes, by pulling choke knob about halfway out.

Motor is now in my basement, and I pulled the carb. I have to think this is likely a fuel flow issue, though I don't know. I removed the float chamber cover, the main nozzle and main jet. All look clean, including the tiny holes on the nozzle. I will replace the fuel lines in the motor, fuel filter and fuel lines from tank to motor.

I assume I should blast the carb with cleaner, though it looks clean. If the main nozzle and jet are clean, the only other "suspect" seems to me to be the main air jet and bleed, though I'd not expect these to get clogged. How do you check/clean these? In my photo, is the air inlet for this the hole I marked with red arrow? The green arrow points to a brass plug - I assume this is not removable - or is it, and is it part of that air feed jet?

The only other thing I can think of (not being any kind of mechanic) is maybe the fuel filter is overly dirty and doesn't let enough fuel flow when a load is placed?

Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• Carb.jpg
    Carb.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0