Evinrude ID help

rsvrdogs

Recruit
Looking for some help with a motor id. Looks to be a Evinriude 55. Would like to confirm. Need year and shaft length. Thanks in advance. Great site

MDL# 557 73 D
SRL# E0003978

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude ID help

1977 55 hp

You can determine the shaft length by measuring from the mounting bracket, where the top of the transom would be, down to the AV plate above the prop.

if that's a bit more than 15" its a standard shaft
if it's a bit more than 20" its a long shaft

rsvrdogs

Recruit

Thanks for the replys. Now to get the water pump replaced. Thanks again

vertjan

Cadet

I have a rude that I purchased last year. The wires were brittle and looked as if someone started to try retape some of them. Well, they were separated from one another and before I got the motor we started it,and it sounded like a champ! So I figured I could handle it from there. I took it home and simply retaped all the brittle wires. Looked good. There were a few that did not go to anything. Took it to the water, started it up, it was in gear, FOWARD, But it ran like a champ, the speedometer showed 40-41. Well now I am tring to figure out where are the wires that come from the gears below(Electric shift) I see 2 black wires coming up from bottom on the left side of the powerhead as I traced them they are not hook to anything, since then I have purchased another electricshift throttle thinking this was my problem. when I do get it in where does these two wires from the lower end on the side of the powerhead connect to on the shifter end.
Vertjan