Tough End To A Season

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Tough end to a season. My son Seb along with my other son Joe and his long-time friend Rob went fishing (11-19-2010) Friday night in the ocean off Democrat Point, Long Island. I was invited but due to my work schedule, I declined. My pre-teen Grandson, Matthew (Joe?s younger son) was scheduled to go but for other reasons, he didn?t go either.

The bottom line is there are no injuries, just some property damage. (I want to get that out of the way so you don?t think that it was a disaster.)

It was night and the weather was good, a working GPS/Chart-Plotter was operating. My son Seb bought this boat new in 2008, a 24 foot Striper. He has decades of experience operating boats, yet this past Friday he lost perspective and ran into the beach. (He lost perspective because with the small screen size of the average GPS, if you?re over 40 you need reading glasses, but to see where your going you need distance lenses.) If you know the area you know that it?s a sandy bottom without rocks. Thank God for that. They went hard aground and could not get free. He contacted a towing company. They want $6,000.00 (yes $6K) to tow him so he opted out and planned to wait several hours for the high tide. (I would have done the same.) The 3 of them spent the knight in their underwear in the water which is very cool this time of year in NY trying to free the boat. There was about a 4 foot surf to deal with. Finally, they got her to float. They had 2 anchors set and (I don?t know why at this point, that they couldn?t haul them in) they decided to cut the anchors free and get on there way. When the 2nd anchor rode was cut it got picked up by the prop and stalled the engine. The surf quickly put the boat on the beach again. Last chance was shot. Contacted the towing company again but the wind had picked to gale or near gale and they could not get to the boat until Sunday morning. During Saturday night, a surf fisherman found one of his anchors and put it next to the boat. There are good people to restore faith everywhere. Overnight some other dirt-bag stole the GPS/Chart-plotter and Radio. So much for restored faith.

A day later and $6K + stolen items, no one has been injured, the boat has been recovered, and minimal damage to the boat except for the stolen items. At this time the boat is being prepped for winter storage.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Tough End To A Season

Glad to hear everybody is ok, sounds like quite an ordeal.

Those Stripers are some heavy rigs, I can't imagine trying to get one floating again in that situation. My dad's 24' is around 6-7k lbs loaded.

Maybe a depth alarm would've helped let him know it was getting shallow?

JRJ

Commander

Glad everyone is OK. I came very close to a beach landing in the fog before GPS. Scary :redface:

angus63

Captain

Glad everyone is ok Nick!!
Towing insurance is about $200/yr for Great South Bay area and 24 ft vessel (Seatow for example). A good investment IMO for your son's investment (makes a good Christmas gift?).
Your son is not alone. I saw 3 vessels grounded in the last 2 weeks during this savage striper bite on the outside and inside the inlet.
I hope for a better season next year for your family.

tommays

Admiral

Dont feel to bad we draw 7' on my friends 35' sailboat and found a 22000 dollar rock in August :eek:

Yes it really cost 22K to fix and we lucky the keel stayed on as we hit hard and came to a dead stop so fast the wheel got bent so bad you could not steer