18FT Sail Boat Bilge Keel crack in fibreglass.

bradday1973

Recruit
I have recently picked up a single hull trailer sailer with a bilge keel setup. One of the bilge keels has cracked or been worn out on the bottom edge , and over time has allowed the steel inside the keel to corrode and expand against the figreglass casing. This has allowed a large crack to appear along the edge of the keel. I am wondering what the best course of action would be to repair this damage. I have attached a pic of the other keel as well. It looks like it has expanded but no cracks have appeared.

Attachments

• DSCN0082.jpg
    DSCN0082.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0083.jpg
    DSCN0083.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0084.jpg
    DSCN0084.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 18FT Sail Boat Bilge Keel crack in fibreglass.

Welcome to Iboats m8 :)

Can you post some pics to kinda help us out :) .

YD.

bradday1973

Recruit

Welcome to Iboats m8 :)

Can you post some pics to kinda help us out :) .

YD.

Thankyou for your interest. I have attached some pics to give you an idea. Any ideas would be great.

Brad Day

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

HI bradday1973.

The biggest problem I see from your pics, is finding out how far up the metal and into your hull the rust has gone.

Get inside and find the fastenings for the bilge keel. You should be able to see if the bolts/fatenings are degraded by rust.

However you look at this project, you need to strip off all the damaged glass to the bottom of the hull.

I would then drop off the bilge keel and have it sand blasted and properly treated. Adding new bolts/fastenings as required.

You will then need to rebuild the glass around the keel, once you have reinstalled it.

No real dramas if you decide to go ahead.

Paul.

bradday1973

Recruit

Thanks Paul for your info. I am not sure how the metal keel is attached to the hull. From what l can determine l will have to cut up the top of the boat in the seating area to get above the keel and have a look. Are they usually bolted into the hull? I am hoping to be able to tackle this job in the backyard after taking it off the trailer. (another interesting challenge). As you have probably worked out l dont know alot about boats, but am familiar with fibre glassing, so any advice is much appreciated.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like that keel exploded lol..

Did it take water and Freeze ??

As allready posted..your going to have to remove the glass to expose the rust..treat the keel and reglass over it..

How thick is the glass around the keel ?

YD.

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

Yes.

Generally bilge keels are through hull fastened. You are going to have to make the decision to access the top of the keels, to be certain.

You could try to find out more about the manufacturer before you start. If you can get some structural information from the builders it would help you a lot.
Cheers.

Paul.

bradday1973

Recruit

Looks like that keel exploded lol..

Did it take water and Freeze ??

As allready posted..your going to have to remove the glass to expose the rust..treat the keel and reglass over it..

How thick is the glass around the keel ?

YD.

I am not to sure how thick the glass is around the keel.No more than 10 mil thick l would say. As for the water freezing, no mate, not at all. We live up in the tropics of North Australia. A beautiful climate this time of the year. What would you say about cutting off both keels and sealing the exposed holes from the keels and putting a satainless keel on the outside of the hull with ballast attached to it?

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

Stainless keel and ballast would certainly be one very good solution.

I would still be trying to find the manufacturer of the yacht, before I did anything.

If they are still in business, they should be able to advise you. It may even be, that they brought out your yacht with a single keel. (centre)

It is hard to find info on old boats in Aus, as many manufacturers, especially from the 60/70's are no longer in business.

I have this trouble myself. I am in Tasmania.

I was once told. 1/8" of rust = 1 thou of metal. Would not take much time for the salty waters up north to explode that keel.

Paul.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

They are put in before the cap is put on.

Hull is first, then the keels, then the cap/deck is put on.

The hard part is getting it out without removing the cap/deck.

A couple of strong strappin Australian mates should handle that for you!!
A few Fosters to take it out...a couple more to put it back in when you're done fiber-glassing!

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

Hi 1fishbone,

From my experience, bilge keels are usually through bolted to a stringer in the hull.

Therefore you should not need to take the deck off.

But you might have to access some of the internal spaces of a yacht of this type.

That is the main reason I think, bradday, should try to find out more info from the manufacturer, before he starts his restoration.

If you had to take the deck off this type of yacht, it would then become a major rebuild and you would need to decide if it is worth the time involved.

Paul.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would listen to Hooked up on this one m8..

I dont know much about dual keel ( catamaran ) installs..

YD.