First Time Out Ater Repairs & Problems

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I have a 88 baretta, 5.7 with a 280VP. I recently replaced the intermediate shaft bearings and bellows.Took her out for a test drive tonight, and everything went fine except little problems. My shift cable is sticking and when put into gear, the gears are slamming. Think that it may be binding somewhere? My 4 barrel carb is popping at about 2,000rpm and seems to be choking out, but runs fine at idle and light acceleration. Also my tilt is not operating all the way up, which I think may be cause it needs fluid and I dont know where to install the fluids and what type of fluid it needs? Can help me get these little problems worked out, or at least point me in the right direction? Trying to make it to saltwater by thankgiving. Thanks

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First Time Out Ater Repairs & Problems

I have Volvo 280s...

It will probably take a long time to find the hydraulic fluid for your trim if it's like mine.

That's because it's just a motor hooked up to a set of gears...no hydraulics involved!

They are nasty little things. Mine are busted. I'm specing a hydraulic system right now because I can't find aftermarket parts which are not used and crazy expensive. Once in a while you can get stuff off ebay, but why throw another 20+ year old part at it?

The coughing issue sounds like fuel delivery to me:

1) gas tank vent
2) Fuel filter
3) restriced gas line
4) failing fuel pump
5) float level/needle and seat
6) If Qjet, power valve gummed up

That kind of thing.

Chay

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have Volvo 280s...

It will probably take a long time to find the hydraulic fluid for your trim if it's like mine.

That's because it's just a motor hooked up to a set of gears...no hydraulics involved!

They are nasty little things. Mine are busted. I'm specing a hydraulic system right now because I can't find aftermarket parts which are not used and crazy expensive. Once in a while you can get stuff off ebay, but why throw another 20+ year old part at it?

1) gas tank vent
2) Fuel filter
3) restriced gas line
4) failing fuel pump

That kind of thing.

Chay
Hmm. I will check the things you listed tomorrow. The problem with my tilt is that I disconnected it when I removed the engine and it worked fine before I did this. It goes down good, but goes up slow before stopping halfway. Do you think the gears are slamming because of the cable getting stuck when shifting back to reverse and to drive, by causes me to shift to fast by forcing it.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone have any ideas. All comments are welcome

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is your idle speed?

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there oil on the outdrive, did you check the oil level??

I would think that since the AQ280 has mechanical tilt it would be hard to find somewhere to add fluid, did you use it as a powertrim system??

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't what's going on inside your tilt. It only loads up on the way down. The shaft extends and presses down on a tab on the outdrive which tilts the drive up.

When you're on the way up, the drive is pushing the shaft back up...it should be easy.

I'd remove it and re-re it before it costs you bags full of money.

You have to have the boat out of the water. Then, there are two allen screws the hold it in on the inside. The front one is easy to get to, the back one is a bit**. Then, give it a BIT of heat without starting the transom on fire, and rotate it and pull up. Mine were sticky, but came out.

Chay

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't what's going on inside your tilt. It only loads up on the way down. The shaft extends and presses down on a tab on the outdrive which tilts the drive up.

When you're on the way up, the drive is pushing the shaft back up...it should be easy.

I'd remove it and re-re it before it costs you bags full of money.

You have to have the boat out of the water. Then, there are two allen screws the hold it in on the inside. The front one is easy to get to, the back one is a bit**. Then, give it a BIT of heat without starting the transom on fire, and rotate it and pull up. Mine were sticky, but came out.

Chay
I lost alot of fluid when I removed the engine. I did not have this problem before I disconnected the fluid lines. I have got instruction while searching iboats that explained about refilling the tilt, and the manual Seloc manual says just about the same thing although it is covering 4cyl engine mostly, but tilt should not be much different. Here is the link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426662&highlight=hydraullic+tilt+piston+retract

captmello

Captain

I did not have this problem before I disconnected the fluid lines.
Can you post a pic of the lines to the pump? We can't figure out if you've got power trim or not. I vote no.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have Volvo 280s...

1) gas tank vent
2) Fuel filter
3) restriced gas line
4) failing fuel pump

That kind of thing.

Chay

Going over the fuel system and noticed in one of my caps where my tank is located a couple of fuel lines coming from the tank. Both look to be in bad shape, but one was dry rotted. Dont know what these lines are called and dont know how to change them cause i dont know how to remove the fuel tank. Keep in mind, that I am still new so please bare with me. I have the Seloc manual, so alot of things are left out. Could these lines be causing the problem with my carb at high rpm? Do I have to do any cutting to remove my fuel tank for cleaning, or any ideas on how to remove it? Thanks

Attachments

• SSPX0031.jpg
    SSPX0031.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SSPX0032.jpg
    SSPX0032.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SSPX0036.jpg
    SSPX0036.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know anything about the fuel tank, but just to clear up a few things, does your outdrive look like the one below, with the "ears" and the cylinders, if so it's the 280PT, and you may need fluid.
If not it's electromechanical and there is no fluid!

I really tried, but I could not find a larger picture !!!
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6wE8WZAABrI/SycbII07mhI/AAAAAAAABiI/7yDUukJhnaU/IM000497.JPG

captmello

Captain

Going over the fuel system and noticed in one of my caps where my tank is located a couple of fuel lines coming from the tank. Both look to be in bad shape, but one was dry rotted. Dont know what these lines are called and dont know how to change them cause i dont know how to remove the fuel tank. Keep in mind, that I am still new so please bare with me. I have the Seloc manual, so alot of things are left out. Could these lines be causing the problem with my carb at high rpm? Do I have to do any cutting to remove my fuel tank for cleaning, or any ideas on how to remove it? Thanks

Before tearing into the fuel tank you could try running the boat on an external tank to see if it makes a difference.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Before tearing into the fuel tank you could try running the boat on an external tank to see if it makes a difference.

That i will do. I have a 5 gallon gas can at home and that should be good enough. One more question, I have a 55 gallon drum outside, if i cut it in half, and fill it with water, could i use it to test my boat out at high rpms without taking to the water. Its a high rpm where my problem is. Would it be safe enough?

captmello

Captain

That i will do. I have a 5 gallon gas can at home and that should be good enough. One more question, I have a 55 gallon drum outside, if i cut it in half, and fill it with water, could i use it to test my boat out at high rpms without taking to the water. Its a high rpm where my problem is. Would it be safe enough?

No, the motor needs to be under load to properly test. Does the engine backfire when you rev it in nuetral? Have you checked the fuel filter in the carb?

captmello

Captain

In case your wondering;), The fuel filter would be behind the fuel line fitting on the front of your carb. Remove the fuel line, remove the fitting the line attaches to and there should be a small filter that can be cleaned and reinstalled. Use a bit of caution as there is a spring inside the filter housing that my go flying if your not ready for it.

(Having seen pics, I know he has a Qjet carb)