1958 Sportwin No Spark HELP

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first got this motor, it did not have spark. Cleaned the points and ohmed out coils, still no spark. I then unhooked the kill switch and tested it, its working, normally open. I then hooked the kill switch wires from the mag together and got spark. Makes no sense, if the kill switch is normally open. Anyway, go out the next day and no spark again with nothing touched. I then figured maybe a condensor was bad, so I put a complete tune-up kit in it including plug wires, still no spark. The coils look new, they are red with the OMC P/N 580416. I got 6700 ohms on one and 7000 ohms on the other. I also checked the primary side and got .001 continuity on both. Could these coils still be bad? :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Sportwin No Spark HELP

I assume you have continuity between the spark plug wire(s) and the coils?

There is a black wire leading from each set of points downwards from the armature plate. Temporarily make sure that neither one of them is attached to anything.

Clean the points with either lacquer thinner or acetone, then set them as follows:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Let us know what you find.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So you want me to unhook the kill wires from the points?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Or the easier route would be to simply disconnect them from whatever they're connected to, yes.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, unhooked kill button wires, rechecked the gap, and cleaned them with acetone. Still no spark.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned a kill switch..... there is no kill switch on that engine. If you're speaking of the vacuum cut out switch, that is simply a switch that shorts out one cylinder when closing the throttle if the engine is over reving (runaway engine).

If the coils are good (you had spark at one time) and no shorting wires are attached to the points (disconnected from their other end), and the points & condensers are good (you installed new ones), there is nothing to stop that magneto from functioning properly.

You don't by any chance have a wire running from one set of points to the other set do you? If so, that'll short out the ignition system the same as turning the key off.

lindy46

Captain

There should be about .9 ohm resistance between the Green and Black leads of the coils.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In conjunction with Lindy's reply......

(Regular Magneto Coils - Continuity Test)
(J. Reeves)

Checking the continuity of the ignition coils....... Have the ohm meter set to High Ohms.

Remove the primary wire from points. Remove the coil ground wire. You do not want either of these wires touching anything.
Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground wire of the coil.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the primary wire. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire.

If there is no continuity between the secondary circuit (spark plug) wire and the primary or ground, remove the coil from the armature plate, then check the continuity directly between the prong within the coil (prong that the plug wire connects to) and the primary and ground. Poor or no continuity of a coil (or plug wire) is one reason for weak spark, s/plug fouling, or no spark.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My engine has a black push button on the bracket by the tiller handle. The wires from the button are the ones that go to the points. I have not seen the vac. line and other switch, I hear people talking about. I did not add any wire from one set of point to the other. I know it should be working but no spark. I just don't get it, I am usually pretty good at this stuff. Evinrude Sportwin 10 # 10016

Lindy, I have no resistance between the green and black wires. Its not open either, it shows .001. Is this too low and showing faulty coils?

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe, I have bench tested the coils as described. I put new wires and clips on the wires. From the spring clip, through the wire, too ground, I get 6700 one one coil and 7000 ohms on the other one.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay.... Now I know what you're referring to as a kill switch (stop button) which of course does kill the ignition. With that disconnected, the ignition is engaged.

I prefer a analog (needle type) ohm meter to check continuity as, in my opinion, the digital ones can give some confusing readings. Sounds like, although the coils look new, that you could possibly have older coils with a continuity problem or coils with cracks on the bottom of the coils shorting out to the armature plate.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the coils are the only thing left, I think I will just get a couple from Napa. It still does not make sense that it would throw a random spark with the stop switch wires shorted together. I show the correct flywheel to be a 580218 and mine is a 580203. I have also read where these flywheels are the same and it has thrown a spark with this flywheel.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the two wires connected together (wires leading to points), that shorts out the ignition system.

That engine calls for flywheel #580218. I can find no mention of it superseding to #580203 (they are listed separately in the same book with no interchange), however if it sparked once, it should again.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So... could I still have the wrong flywheel, with the magnet in the wrong spot. It would not be indexed with the crank if its in the wrong location. What is my flywheel supposed to fit? Does anybody have the same engine I do? If so, can you take a picture from the top of your flywheel, so I can see where your magnet location is. There is a indention where the magnet is. I need to see where it is in reference to the keyway slot. Thanks

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cmon guys, nobody has a 1958 10hp? You don't need to pull the flywheel for the pic. Just remove the nut so I can see the keyway slot.

AlTn

Commander

58...a friend just bought a 58 10 hp. model no. 10016...I'm going to look at in a day or so..I'll pay attention to the keyway orientation and post back..sorry, I don't know how to post pics yet.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1958 Sportwin No Spark ITS FIXED

Re: 1958 Sportwin No Spark ITS FIXED

Its fixed!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all of you for trying too help me fix it. I thought I might of had the wrong flywheel, so I call Laing's Outboards off the OAMCI site, to check the P/N. He said the flywheel was right and too check and see if the points were hooked up to the right coils. Sure enough the previous owner who put coils in it, hooked them up wrong. I just kept hooking it up the way I seen it come apart and never thought anything about it. Got good blue spark now. Thanks again everyone.