synthetic oil in 2 strokes?

stormmn

Seaman Apprentice
I have noticed in some of the postings, discussion of using synthetic oil in 2 strokes in lue of Merc. Q silver oil.

I have three Merc. 2 strokes that have always been run with Merc. Q silver at a 50to1 ratio and as all Mercs, SMOKE.

I have looked for other 2 stroke oils that would work in my Mercs. and not smoke or reduce the smoke, but found nothing.

Please tell me what you know on this subject.

4 strokes are nice but spendy and nothing wrong with my old 2 strokes other than a trail of smoke and smell on the two kicker motors.

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice
Re: synthetic oil in 2 strokes?

i have herd this fromm 100s of people and its how i go by. just because you have a merc, dosent mean you have to use merc oil! granted try to stick with outboard 2 cycle oil, but when it comes down to it if its blue two stroke oil. run it! expariment around. it wont hurt your motor, it might auctully make it better. i found that my motor seems to like penzoil 2 stroke outboard oil.

but what it comes down to is what your MOTOR likes. espically on the older outboards. i have a 85 inline 6 90hp merc. it started out running it at a 50:1 and it was smoking and kicking ( after i basicly rebuilt the motor including new electircal system) so i gave it a little extra and it got worse. so i thined it out just a little under 50:1 and it runs perfectly.

too rich and it can oil up the plugs too much and cause a miss fire.. too lean and.... welll... thats bad news... ya just gotta find out what she likes. try different kinds!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: synthetic oil in 2 strokes?

I wouldn't alter the mixture. 50:1 is what's needed by the engine. Variable rate oilers will usually go to 50:1 at high throttles, and as lean as 100:1 at idle speeds. Of course if you pre-mix the fuel and oil, it will smoke more at idle, but if you don't have it at 50:1, you'll hurt the engine at WOT.

Most find that the synth blends and synthetics smoke less and load up the exhaust chest less. PennZoil is both relatively inexpensive and good.

Stick to TCW-3 certified oils. Water cooled engines have different needs than air cooled (chain saw) engines. The acronym stands for Two Cycle Water cooled, third generation (up to 100:1) The actual oil mix is a function of the engine design, not the oil A 1930's outboard would need this oil at 16:1, but it would run better than with the original 30W non-detergent (specified) oil.

hope it helps
john