Boat repairs (is it worth it)

marine11

Seaman Apprentice
I have bought a savage tasman half cabin, the prvious owner did a transom rebuild, although it needs a new deck and most probably a new transsom.

i paid $1500 for the boat trailer and 70 hp mariner 80 model, motor runs has compression, although needs tune up, power trim wont move motor (although makes the noise like it is trying to) and the ignition fixed (cant turn motor off from ignition key)

i was quoted $800 for stringers and $800 for the deck to be replaced by professional fibreglasser, is it worth fixing this up and keeping it or selling it and buying something else.
i would like to give it a go myself to repair but afraid that i will not do it properley and waste more money and time rather than someone professinaly to do it.

Total
$1500 for boat trailer and motor
$1600 for fibreglass repairs
$1000 for motor repairs and tune up.

Total
$4100

Plus cosmetics like paint boat, put seats in, fabric inside cabin.

this boat is a savage tasman 15ft half cabin, all dollar figures are in australian dollars also.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat repairs (is it worth it)

need pics and the year of your boat.

the way to determine the cost is to find a simmelar boat in average condition with a simmelar motor package for sale...watch it for a few days and see what it sells for.
then weigh that against the amount you will spend on your craft.
the upholstery alone could run as high as 2k.
then all the goodies you want and you could be at 12k in a flash.

very rarely will you break even on having a pro do your transom deck and stringers...all tho 16 for a deck and stringers is a great price......i would ask exactally what that involves....(foam....glassing the stringers in...glass under the deck?....gellcoating the deck?

if you do it your self.....all including the motor and adding fluid to the trim motor......you will save a bundle.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....run from that one....

someone cut the transom off to add a new piece of wood....then painted the raw glass.

the words run or sink come to mind

marine11

Seaman Apprentice

yeah that is the one on ebay, i have decided to sell it, to scared to spend big money on a boat that i bought on impiulse buying.

marine11

Seaman Apprentice

lol....run from that one....

someone cut the transom off to add a new piece of wood....then painted the raw glass.

the words run or sink come to mind

you say that i should run, but how many projects on this forum are worse than mine.

and they complete a restoration and rebuild.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well the one in the link looks like a 6 year old used silly putty to build a transom, it also notes that it runs but won't shut off with the key, etc.

It screams of an owner that did everything half-assed, which in most cases means that the boat will be filled with other surprises that will in turn mean more $$$$$$.

Thus you have the run or sink terminology. Buying a basket case and then assessing it is the wrong method, you always inspect things carefully before purchase and do the research on repair before purchasing.

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd pay for a proper transom repair then do the floor yourself. this site with a few hours reading and a few question will get you through if you are mechanically minded and good with your hands and power tools. you'll find once you get started you will think what have a got my self into (I did) then once you start to understand and make progress on how things should be done you be loving it and looking for your next project befor youve even finish your fist (I am) my biggest thing to learn is how to apply gel coat but having scene how they get done on here there is no need, but its would be a very handy skill, and with the motor not shutting off at the key it might just need a new ignition switch or a kill switch installed

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

She could be fixed. I remember someone cutting their transom off here to and they repaired it. I think 1500 for that boat was quite a high price to pay but if you like it and are stuck with it, fix it. No need to buy a different boat with problems. I have seen ten year old boats with soft floors and rotten transoms.

marine11

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the positive posts, it does make it feel a little better.

i am still thinking about what to do.