Stringers

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, so I know most of you are not fans of the old OMC stringers but, I have 2 of them and have been offered a third. My existing ones are a 72 225Hp in a 22' Slickcraft glass boat and a 74 140HP in an 18' Starcraft aluminum boat. The one I have been offered is newer and not the electric shift. Not sure of the exact year, but it is a cable shift, although still a stringer. Is it any better? If so, my thought is to swap it into the 22' boat that I already have, as it is a very nice hull and I really hate to get rid of it.
(By the way, I have also acquired a 1979 20' aluminum Lund with a 165HP inline 6 Mercruiser that I hope to ressurect in time but it needs everything that is wooden, replaced.)

Randy (who is cornering the market on old cheap I/O's one at at time)

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stringers

When you say you have been "offered" the boat I asume you mean for free. If so, yes take it. Take out the motor and drive and keep them for spares.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Stringers

Yes the mechanical shifts were an improvement, especially the 81 and later ones, and more parts are available for them...just beware, however, that the shift cable itself is almost $500...