Should it be this hard to start my OMC

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 4.3 OMC is very tempermental when it comes to cold starts. I've only had it for 1 season so cold starts - probably less than 50, but there have only been 2 or 3 times that I didn't have to re-start it several times for it to finally keep running.<br /><br />I've tried pumping it - starting with 1/4 throttle. Pumping it - starting with 0 throttle. Just with the throttle at 1/4. It just seems to be hit or miss. Usually miss.<br /><br />Once it does start and I can keep it idling for 30 sec. to a minute it runs like a champ. Warm starts are fine.<br /><br />Is this just the nature of the beast?<br /><br />One other (hopefully) quick one. The kill switch on the dashboard - are these generic items? Or are they specific to the engine/starting/ignition systems? Mine is finicky. I once spent 15 minutes trying to get the boat started only to find out that switch wasn't completely depressed. One tap and it started right up. Hoping it's a $5 type replacement part.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Should it be this hard to start my OMC

Take a look at the choke,that may be the idle problem.I have never had a boat that started just like a car and continued idling without playing with the throttle.The kill switch is easily replacable.Check the lanyard,it may be worn so it does not push down enough.Neither is a $5 part.Charlie

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should it be this hard to start my OMC

I agree with Charlie it could the choke. Does it appear to be closed when you try a cold start?