Another Underdeck Foam Question.

Signal 20

Seaman
So I have finally made it to the point in my restoration where I am ready for foam to go under the deck. My boat is only a 16ft center console and under the deck is going to be completely sealed off.

My question is I am considering buying a case (12 cans) for around $45 of Dow 12oz Expandable foam from Lowes, drilling 12 very small holes in the deck and spraying in the foam and let it expand.

I know there has been discussions about what to use for floatation foam, I have already tabbed in the deck and sealed it so I;m basically stuck with using spray expandable foam or pour in foam (which seems like a PITA).

I'm not really worried about the floatation properties of the foam, I'm more wanting the foam to add more rigitity to the boat and structure to the deck.

Has anyone tried this or have any very positive or negative comments?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Underdeck Foam Question.

go with the pour in foam.....

the carp in the spray in tube is not ment for boats and wont give you the anti crush you want.

as well.....the coverage isnt good......you will need a few dozen cases to do your cc

Signal 20

Seaman

I have read that thread, and it seems easy enough, my only problem with that method is cutting abunch of 2" diameter holes in the deck....

My other question about the pourable foam is for example on US Composites they have a 2cu ft and 8cu ft kits....would the 2cu ft kit be enough for a 16ft boat? that stuff can get expensive from what i have seen

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes it is expencive.....but you pay for what you get.

however....it will be cheaper than the tube stuff.

as far as the coverage area......that depends on how deep your hull is.....(the "void" area) under the deck and above the hull.

i use rigid foam to fill large areas....then i use pour in foam and it fills the gaps.....keeps the cost down.

as far as the 2 inch holes in the deck....you will have the hole saw cut outs to fill them.....just epoxy or poly them back in!...

the holes will also release any excess material.....too much foam can hook your hull

cheers
oops

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

page 5 of my thread will exlpain in detail of personal experience with both products.... feel free to ask questions after you read it.

reference my signiture for link