Anyone know how the newel post at the top of my stairs is attached??

scipper77

Commander
A cat used the newel post at the top of my stairs for as a scratching post (previous owner). We are getting the upstairs carpet replaced and I need to replace the post before the new carpet goes down. I'm not sure how it is fastened to the floor and just don't want to do any damage removing it that will make the install a problem.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anyone know how the newel post at the top of my stairs is attached??

metal dowl pin????

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

They are typically screwed to the side of the floor joists or stair stringer, you will have to cut some of the subfloor out to remove/replace.
It's pretty easy IF you are a decent handyman.
Good luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This guy will get it off of there in a jiffy

clark-griswold-tree.jpg

scipper77

Commander

They are typically screwed to the side of the floor joists or stair stringer, you will have to cut some of the subfloor out to remove/replace.
It's pretty easy IF you are a decent handyman.
Good luck!

I hope you are right. Tearing out a piece of plywood sounds easy enough (famous last words :eek:)

scipper77

Commander

Yup. I pulled a piece of subfloor. The post goes pretty far down and is nailed into the floor structure. Now I have to figure out how to pull the nails out to remove the old post. I definitely don't want to rip it out and damage the structure that I will need to secure the new post to.

Any Ideas?? (I know pics would be nice at this point. Wife is already giving me grief because I'm on the computer and not working)

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are pretty sure it's nailed, a sawzall slid between the post and the joist should cut the nails. Hopefully you have access to reattach it. Reattach it like you are going to hang your car off of it, your safety is at stake.

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i remember rite they are lag bolted from the floor up.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

if i remember rite they are lag bolted from the floor up.

Mine are installed with dowel bolts.
The post can be "unscrewed" once it has all railing attachments removed/disconnected.

Never seen them nailed in place.

scipper77

Commander

Mine are installed with dowel bolts.
The post can be "unscrewed" once it has all railing attachments removed/disconnected.

Never seen them nailed in place.

Mine seems to be glued and nailed but I'll be aware that there may be a dowel bolt on the bottom.

I've gotten a couple of the nails out, this is a case where the demo may be harder than the rebuild. At least I hope so.

I'm tempted to saw it off and drill into the stump until it looks like Swiss cheese. Pull the rest out in pieces. I don't have a saws-all but I could make short work of the post with my chainsaw. The wife would freak out on me if I brought the chain saw in the house, carbon monoxide and what not. On second thought if I left the house smelling like 2 stroke I'd never hear the end of it.

I guess it's the hand saw if I can't get the nails out.

scipper77

Commander

In addition to the newel post I have to do 6 prehung doors. I have 3 of the old ones pulled and am ready to hang the first replacement.

The previous owners cat shredded the door casings as well. molding, frames and all. This is another task that will destroy the carpet so it needs to be done before the carpet guy comes as well.

When all is said and done this month I will have installed a granite vanity top, sink, faucet, and toilet in the main upstairs bathroom. Replaced all the upstairs door with nice six panel doors (except for one closet and the bathroom door that does not have carpet around it). and removed and replaced the post for the upstairs railing.

When that's done the wife has a few more big projects for me.

Anyone else missing boating season??? I can't be the only one starting home improvement season.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your house is old enough; the newal post at the bottom of the stairs should contain the original plans and ownership papers. The cap is usually just set in and not fastened.

scipper77

Commander

If your house is old enough; the newal post at the bottom of the stairs should contain the original plans and ownership papers. The cap is usually just set in and not fastened.

House is 1983. I doubt that qualifies as old enough to many people.

dolluper

Captain

Give the wife 40 bucks and send her shopping for new railing caps and say that hehe hehe and get her done ...best forty you ever spent trust me

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

use a hacksaw to cut threw nails,etc... since u dont have a sawzall.

scipper77

Commander

The post is out. It was glued and nailed in but it turned out that it wasn.t really nailed in all that well. Some of the nails didn't even go through the post so they were useless.

I had to cut the post with a hand saw. After I got the stump out I ended up putting it back in and rewedging it to remove any slop. I had the stump as solid as a rock without using a single nail!! My plan is to cut the new post "exactly" like the old post and use a little construction adhesive and some wedges to shore it up. I'll drive a couple small nails through the shims to help them stay in place (shouldn't matter as they will be glued) and a couple large nails for good measure.

The way the structure in the floor is set up the post has no choice but to be very strong. It could be loose at best. I'm quite happy with the way this job is going. I decided today after I pulled the old post that I may as well do a new rail and spindles. for 5 new spindals and a rail it will cost me another $40 but it will not look like a 30 year old setup with a brand new post on the end.

Of course if I do the rail at the top of the stairs I'll have to do the rail at the bottom.... eventually!

I'm sure this thread is pretty boring to most, but I just thought I'd give an update to this saga. maybe I'll post some pics if anyone wants.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Pictures would be great, I am having a hard time visualizing..

Thanks

scipper77

Commander

Here you go...

Before pic,
DSCF1725.jpg

This is the opening from above. The triangular piece is just a spacer to fill the gap between the floor stud and the post,
DSCF1733.jpg

The stump and how it sits in the hole. Note how long the stump is. The previous picture doesn't give a good feeling for how deep the hole is.
DSCF1734.jpg

DSCF1735.jpg

DSCF1736.jpg

When that thing is wedged in place it isn't going anywhere as long as the wedges stay in place. That's where the glue and nails come in to play.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Basically, it just sat in a pocket.
Sounds to easy, whats the catch??? :)

scipper77

Commander

Basically, it just sat in a pocket.
Sounds to easy, whats the catch??? :)

I know what you mean. Nothing is ever that simple.

At this point I am REALLY happy I didn't try to cut it flush and use a floor mounted bracket. The way it is now is so much stronger (or will be).