whats the effect of running poorly gaped plugs?

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class
for instance .020 instead of .030 on an older 1970 evinrude 40hp....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: whats the effect of running poorly gaped plugs?

Possibly nothing you would notice. However it may lead to a mis-fire situation.

MudLake

Seaman

I have found that plugs gapped at 20 make a smoother running 2 cycle outboard but the bigger the gap the less fuel consumption.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Why would you want to do that?

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was wondering because they were gapped wrong when i bought it....and over the last summer the engine would only drive less than half speed...the compression is fine...so i assume the points need regapping.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Points and plugs, 2 different things. Point gap would directly effect timing, plug gap has to do with what F_R said, too close a gap and a misfire could occur, to wide a gap and spark would deplete at higher RPMS.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might have more issues with fouling, if they're gapped smaller. I had an old 5.5hp Johnson, that had J4C's in it, when I got it and it wouldn't wind up. As soon as I replaced them with some J6C's, it ran like a cut cat. You may possibly have the wrong plugs in your motor. Your motor calls for the J4C's (J4J's back then) but I would still run the J6C's in it. Much better plug.:cool:

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had been running it gapped at .020 with the wrong plugs as well...I bought the j4c but will install in the spring. Its too cold up here in Canada...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious..... I see no mention of whatever engine (Make, HP, Year) ceasarea is typing about.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry but I have never heard of a .020 air gap for spark plugs. Unless this was for the "thin dime" trick for the Model A Fords. Did anybody ever look at how thick a .010 " feeler gauge is. If this little difference makes creates a running prob with your mtr you have something else wrong.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There's a reason they reccomend .030. If you run .020 your reducing the spark exposure by about 30% I also believe .030 will produce a hotter spark.( more juice)
Builds more voltage before it fires. Some that troll a lot increase gap to 35 or 40 believing it burns a little cleaner.But not as good at speed.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious..... I see no mention of whatever engine (Make, HP, Year) ceasarea is typing about.

1970 Evinrude 40hp:D it's in the first post

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Steel, remember, wider the gap the hotter the spark, up to certin limits.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

"Copy and paste from NGK"
Gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle/engine that the spark plug is intended for. Modified engines with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in the denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the great advice.